Prove that Casimir operators commute with the elements of Lie algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses the manipulation and rewriting of the Casimir operator ##C## and its definition using the structure constants ##c_{rs}^{p}##. It also mentions the invariance of the bilinear form and the Killing form in relation to the proof of the Casimir operator commuting with all elements of the Lie algebra. The possibility of choosing a basis that simplifies the proof is also mentioned.
JTFreitas
Homework Statement
Consider a vector space of dimension ##n## of a semi-simple Lie algebra ##\mathcal{L}## with basis ##{a_1, a_2, ..., a_n}##, and the composition law:

$$ [a_r, a_s] = \sum_{p = 1}^{n} c_{rs}^{p}a_{p} $$

Prove that the Casimir operator acting on the vector space commutes with all the elements of the Lie algebra, ##a_r##:
Relevant Equations
The Casimir operator ##C## is defined as
$$C = \sum_{i,j} g_{ij}a_{i}a_{j} $$
where
$$g_{ij} = \sum_{l,k}c_{ik}^{l}c_{jl}^{k} $$

Where the numbers ##c_{rs}^{p}## are the structure constants of ##\mathcal{L}##, defined according to

$$[a, a_{s}] = \sum_{p = 1}^{n} \text{ad}(a)_{ps}a_{p} $$
and
$$[a_{r}, a_{s}] = \sum_{p=1}^{n} c_{rs}^{p}a_{p}$$
which implies that
$${\text{ad}(a_r)}_{ps} = c_{rs}^{p}$$
I want to show that ##[C, a_{r}] = 0##. This means that:
$$ Ca_{r} - a_{r}C = \sum_{i,j} g_{ij}a_{i}a_{j}a_{r} - a_{r}\sum_{i,j} g_{ij}a_{i}a_{j} = 0$$

I don't understand what manipulating I can do here. I have tried to rewrite ##g_{ij}## in terms of the structure constants:$$\sum_{i,j}\sum_{l,k}c_{ik}^{l}c_{jl}^{k}a_{i}a_{j}a_{r} - a_{r}\sum_{i,j}\sum_{l,k}c_{ik}^{l}c_{jl}^{k}a_{i}a_{j}$$

Now, I am not sure I can do this, since ##a_r## isn't necessarily part of the sums, but I know that

$$a_{j}a_{r} = [a_{j}, a_{r}] + a_{r}a_{j}$$

Hence the expression becomes

$$\sum_{i,j}\sum_{l,k}c_{ik}^{l}c_{jl}^{k}a_{i}([a_{j}, a_{r}] + a_{r}a_{j}) - a_{r}\sum_{i,j}\sum_{l,k}c_{ik}^{l}c_{jl}^{k}a_{i}a_{j}$$
And based on the composition law, the expression becomes

$$\sum_{i,j}\sum_{l,k}c_{ik}^{l}c_{jl}^{k}a_{i}\left(\sum_{p = 1}^{n} c_{jr}^{p}a_{p} + a_{r}a_{j}\right) - a_{r}\sum_{i,j}\sum_{l,k}c_{ik}^{l}c_{jl}^{k}a_{i}a_{j}$$

And this is where I am completely out of ideas about tackling the expression.
Is my work up to this point even valid? Any pointers on how to proceed from here would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
JTFreitas said:
The Casimir operator ##C## is defined as
##C = \sum_{i,j} g_{ij}a_{i}a_{j}##
where
##g_{ij} = \sum_{l,k}c_{ik}^{l}c_{jl}^{k}##

Is this really how ##C## is defined? My references use the inverse of ##g_{ij}## in the definition of ##C##.

George Jones said:
Is this really how ##C## is defined? My references use the inverse of ##g_{ij}## in the definition of ##C##.
Thank you for taking a look at it.
I just double-checked, and according to my textbook, it is defined with ##g_{ij}## as is.

We have to show that ##C(X)\in \operatorname{Z(U}(\mathfrak{g}))##. Wikipedia mentions that this is due to the invariance of the bilinear form the Casimir operator is defined by (which also might explain the two different definitions in your and @George Jones' book). In the case above it is the Killing-form ##\operatorname{B}(X,Y)=\operatorname{trace}(\operatorname{ad}(X)\circ \operatorname{ad}(Y))## of the semesimple Lie algebra ##\mathfrak{g}.## Thus invariance means
$$
B(\operatorname{ad}(Z)(X),Y)= B([Z,X],Y)=-B(X,[Z,Y])=-B(X,\operatorname{ad}(Z)(Y))
$$
where the Casimir operator is given by ##C=\sum_{i=1}^n a_iB(a_i,-).##I assume if you take these equations and fight your way through the coordinates, then you will be able to prove that ##C(X)## is in the center of ##\operatorname{U}(\mathfrak{g})## for all ##X\in \mathfrak{g}.##

Last edited:
JTFreitas said:
Homework Statement:: Consider a vector space of dimension ##n## of a semi-simple Lie algebra ##\mathcal{L}## with basis ##{a_1, a_2, ..., a_n}##, and the composition law:

$$ [a_r, a_s] = \sum_{p = 1}^{n} c_{rs}^{p}a_{p} $$

Prove that the Casimir operator acting on the vector space commutes with all the elements of the Lie algebra, ##a_r##:
Relevant Equations:: The Casimir operator ##C## is defined as
$$C = \sum_{i,j} g_{ij}a_{i}a_{j} $$
where
$$g_{ij} = \sum_{l,k}c_{ik}^{l}c_{jl}^{k} $$

Where the numbers ##c_{rs}^{p}## are the structure constants of ##\mathcal{L}##, defined according to

$$[a, a_{s}] = \sum_{p = 1}^{n} \text{ad}(a)_{ps}a_{p} $$
and
$$[a_{r}, a_{s}] = \sum_{p=1}^{n} c_{rs}^{p}a_{p}$$
which implies that
$${\text{ad}(a_r)}_{ps} = c_{rs}^{p}$$

Since your Lie algebra is semi-simple, can you choose a basis such that ##g_{ij}## has a particularly nice form?

George Jones said:
Since your Lie algebra is semi-simple, can you choose a basis such that ##g_{ij}## has a particularly nice form?
It already has a particularly nice form, namely the Killing form. I am pretty sure it would be a lot easier to prove without coordinates, just using the adjoint representation and the fact that the Killing form is non degenerate.

1. What is a Casimir operator?

A Casimir operator is a mathematical operator that commutes with all elements of a Lie algebra, meaning it can be used to label the different representations of a Lie group.

2. Why is it important to prove that Casimir operators commute with Lie algebra elements?

Proving that Casimir operators commute with Lie algebra elements is important because it allows us to easily identify the different representations of a Lie group, which is essential in studying the symmetries and dynamics of physical systems.

3. How do you prove that Casimir operators commute with Lie algebra elements?

The proof involves using the defining properties of the Casimir operator and the Lie algebra elements, such as the commutation relations and the Jacobi identity. It also requires knowledge of group theory and representation theory.

4. Can the commutativity of Casimir operators be generalized to other mathematical structures?

Yes, the concept of Casimir operators and their commutativity can be generalized to other mathematical structures, such as quantum algebras and superalgebras.

5. What are some applications of the commutativity of Casimir operators?

The commutativity of Casimir operators has various applications in physics, including in quantum field theory, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. It is also useful in studying symmetries and conserved quantities in physical systems.