Using a Wind Tunnel to Determine Drag Coefficient: An Experimental Approach

In summary, the conversation is about determining wind speed in a wind tunnel for a science project. The proposed solution involves measuring the time it takes for a suspended pingpong ball to hit the ground, using equations to calculate drag force and coefficient, and using tables to find known coefficients for air at a specific temperature. A lecture on air and drag coefficients is also suggested as a resource.
protossadv

Homework Statement

I made a wind tunnel for a science project and i am trying to determine its windspeed.
I decided to suspend a pingpong ball on a string in the wind tunnel and measure the angle change.
But to do this i need to calculate the drag force and i cannot do this without knowing the drag coefficient of the ball.

Homework Equations

Drag force: 1/2*P*v2*A*Cd
x=vit + 1/2*at2

The Attempt at a Solution

One idea i have is to drop the same ball from a height and measure the time it takes to hit the ground.
I then use the equation x=vit + 1/2*at2 and solve for a.
Then, using 1/2*P*v2*A*Cd = ma, i solve for Cd, and use this drag coefficient to solve for wind velocity in the wind tunnel.
However, i think i can't simply put ma= drag force becuase this suggests that gravity equals drag force which would mean the ball was at terminal velocity.

How would you solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
for some reason i can't see whatever video or link you posted
can u show me the url?

protossadv said:
for some reason i can't see whatever video or link you posted
can u show me the url?

It's on Utube. Title: Lec 12 | 8.01 Physics I: Classical Mechanics, Fall 1999

I embedded it in the message. It plays for me just clicking it in the message.

Perhaps you will have better luck at Youtube?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Using a Wind Tunnel to Determine Drag Coefficient: An Experimental Approach

1. What is a drag coefficient?

A drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that is used to quantify the drag or resistance of an object moving through a fluid. It is a measure of how much the fluid resists the motion of the object.

2. How is the drag coefficient calculated?

The drag coefficient is calculated by dividing the drag force by the dynamic pressure and the projected area of the object. The drag force can be measured using various methods such as wind tunnel tests, computational fluid dynamics, or physical experiments.

3. What factors affect the drag coefficient?

The drag coefficient is influenced by several factors, including the shape and size of the object, the speed and density of the fluid, and the surface roughness of the object. These factors can significantly affect the drag coefficient and must be considered when determining it.

4. How is the drag coefficient used in engineering and design?

The drag coefficient is an essential parameter in the design of various objects, such as vehicles, buildings, and aircraft. It is used to optimize the shape and size of these objects to minimize drag and increase efficiency. Engineers and designers use the drag coefficient to improve the performance and reduce the energy consumption of their designs.

5. How accurate are drag coefficient calculations?

The accuracy of drag coefficient calculations depends on the methods used to determine it. Wind tunnel tests and computational fluid dynamics simulations are considered to provide more accurate results compared to physical experiments. However, the accuracy also depends on the complexity of the object and the fluid flow conditions. It is essential to use appropriate methods and consider all factors to obtain a reliable drag coefficient value.