Using accelorometer and gyroscope in projectile motion

In summary, the speaker is working on a project to create a SmartBall that can detect the velocity, spin, and flightpath of a ball using Intel Edison and the 9DOF block. They are using RTIMULib to read values from the 9DOF block and integrate the acceleration data to calculate velocity and position. However, this method is not very accurate due to error accumulation. The speaker has discovered that their project involves projectile motion and they need to know the initial velocity and angle of projection. They have tried different approaches to obtain this information, including using the gyroscope outputs, but have not been successful. They are seeking help to obtain these requirements.
Hesham Zwayyed
I'm working on a project to make a SmartBall that can detect the velocity(km/h) , spin(degrees per second) and flightpath(trajectory) of the ball using Intel Edison with the 9DOF block (LSM9DS0 : 3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis gyroscope, and 3-axis magnetometer) & the battery block, I'm reading values from the 9DOF block by RTIMULib(Library for IMU chips). I've been working on integrating the acceleration data from the accelorometer to get the velocity then get the position, I know that this method is not really accurate as the integration error cumulate very fast but I rely on that my calculations will be done in a very short time (about 3 seconds) then i re-calculate again from the beginning after every kick so that error doesn't cumulate hardly, Also i only need an acceptable accuracy not a very high one. I discovered then that I'm dealing with projectile motion(ball kicking), so after considering this & searching in projectile motion equations i found that i must know the initial velocity and the angle of projection(theta) to be able to get my requirements. my problem that I don't know how to get any of these , I tried different approaches like getting the horizontal distance & getting the height to get their resultant(using pythagoras) then get the angle(assuming it's a right angle) in a very small time at the beggining of the projection , but i still couldn't get the height. The gyroscope outputs roll, pitch & yaw angles related to the sensor orientation but I'm still not using this as I'm assuming that the sensor will be fixed inside the ball so it's orientation will not be the same as the projection angle.Hope I made it clear , Any help on how to get my requirements is really appreciated, Thanks so much.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
That is an ambitious project.
I've been working on integrating the acceleration data from the accelorometer to get the velocity then get the position, I know that this method is not really accurate as the integration error cumulate very fast but I rely on that my calculations will be done in a very short time ...
It's not the time that is the probem - it is that the error accumulates in a short number of iterations. It does not matter how fast you do the calculation - what matters is the number iterations you need to get a good path.

i re-calculate again from the beginning after every kick...
Soccer, Rugby, Calvinball...?

I discovered then that I'm dealing with projectile motion...
Sounds Rugby-esque. Kicking the ball to high lobs or tossing the ball between players would produce projectile-ish motion (remember the drag on such a ball will be significant, it will spin too, and it is sort-of aerodynamic.)

You are recording acceleration and calculating for position - you need the initial position and velocity to do this since that involves solving a second-order differential equation (as a difference equation).

You can approximate the initial angle by interpolation of the first few data points. However, since you are confident of your method to get an updated position, don't you just have the entire trajectory anyway?

1. How do accelerometers and gyroscopes work in projectile motion?

Accelerometers measure the acceleration of an object, while gyroscopes measure the rotational velocity of an object. In projectile motion, accelerometers can measure the acceleration of the projectile as it moves through the air, while gyroscopes can measure the rotational velocity of the projectile as it spins.

2. Can accelerometers and gyroscopes be used to track the trajectory of a projectile?

Yes, by measuring the acceleration and rotational velocity of a projectile, accelerometers and gyroscopes can be used to calculate the trajectory of the projectile. This information can be used to predict the path of the projectile and determine its final destination.

3. What are some practical applications of using accelerometers and gyroscopes in projectile motion?

Some practical applications include tracking the trajectory of missiles or rockets, analyzing the performance of sports equipment such as golf clubs or baseball bats, and monitoring the movement of drones or other unmanned aerial vehicles.

4. Are there any limitations to using accelerometers and gyroscopes in projectile motion?

One limitation is that accelerometers and gyroscopes can only measure linear and rotational motion, respectively. They cannot account for external forces such as air resistance or wind, which can affect the trajectory of a projectile. Another limitation is that these sensors may have limitations in their accuracy and precision, which can affect the accuracy of the calculated trajectory.

5. How can the data from accelerometers and gyroscopes be processed and analyzed in projectile motion?

The data from accelerometers and gyroscopes can be processed and analyzed using mathematical equations and algorithms. These can be used to calculate the velocity, acceleration, and trajectory of the projectile. Additionally, software programs can be used to visualize and analyze the data in a more user-friendly way.