Using area to evaluate integrals

In summary: I get it?In summary, Marshall attempted to integrate the function f(x) = 5x+√(25-x2) on the intervals [-5,0] and [-5,5] but ran into trouble due to the negative area of the triangle he created to evaluate the integral. He was able to find the antiderivatives of these functions and combined them to get the correct answer.
Mhorton91

Homework Statement

Use areas to evaluate the integral f(x)=5x+√(25-x2) on the following intervals

a) [-5,0]
b) [-5,5]

Homework Equations

∫f(x) + g(x) = ∫f(x) + ∫g(x)

also Area of a circle = pi(r)2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My first several attempts have centered around evaluating the integral on the first interval, from -5 to 0.

I have attempted to break it into---

∫5x + ∫√(25-x2.

After graphing y=5x, I get a point at (-5, -25) which I use to construct a triangle of base (-)5, and height (-)25.

Using the 1/2(base)(height) formula I get 125/2 square units.

The graph of the latter y=√(25-x2 appears to be the upper hemisphere of a circle of radius 5, centered around the origin.

Limiting it to the interval [-5,0] Leaves me with 1/4 of a circle radius 5, or

1/4(pi)(radius2)
To which I end up getting 25pi/4

so then I attempt to combine them with the rule of sums listed above.. My class uses an online homework system, and the answer I am entering is

(25pi/4)+125/2

That answer doesn't appear to be correct.

I had to take a year off after Calc 1, and this is my first assignment in Calc 2.. I'm trying to get back on the learning curve.Also, here is a screen shot of the actual problem in case my write up was confusing.

qcVHgCAYRXENh6onkAYQiA67mL4FRnDnH1pw5UQtt1cGMdYaHjZlX95Z_nbDRLAHbyN722kWKzoj8GHlBugKZLynfMXD7CAw.png

I appreciate any push in the proper direction!

Marshall

Physics news on Phys.org
Could the computer be asking for a decimal answer, like 6.25 pi + 62.5?

Oh, I see now. Your triangle is negative area--You have to subtract it.
The integral
##\int_{-5}^0 5x dx = \frac52 x^2 |_{-5}^0 = \frac52 (0)^2 - \frac52 (-5)^2 = -125/2. ##
Area below the x-axis will result in a negative integral.
Keep that in mind when you add the second part of the interval on from [0,5] where both functions are positive over the interval.

Mhorton91 said:

Homework Statement

a) [-5,0]
b) [-5,5]

Homework Equations

[/B]
My first several attempts have centered around evaluating the integral on the first interval, from -5 to 0.

I have attempted to break it into---

∫5x + ∫√(25-x2.

After graphing y=5x, I get a point at (-5, -25) which I use to construct a triangle of base (-)5, and height (-)25.

Using the 1/2(base)(height) formula I get 125/2 square units.

The graph of the latter y=√(25-x2 appears to be the upper hemisphere of a circle of radius 5, centered around the origin.

Limiting it to the interval [-5,0] Leaves me with 1/4 of a circle radius 5, or

1/4(pi)(radius2)
To which I end up getting 25pi/4

so then I attempt to combine them with the rule of sums listed above.. My class uses an online homework system, and the answer I am entering is

(25pi/4)+125/2

That answer doesn't appear to be correct.

I had to take a year off after Calc 1, and this is my first assignment in Calc 2.. I'm trying to get back on the learning curve.I appreciate any push in the proper direction!

Marshall

Are familiar with the fundamental theorem of (integral) calculus? It says that for a function ##f(x) ## the area under the curve ##y = f(x)## from ##x = a## to ##x = b## is
[tex] \text{Area} = F(b) - F(a),[/tex]
where ##F(x)## is an antiderivative function of ##f(x)##; that is, it is a function whose derivative ##F'(x)## equals ##f(x)##. So, you need only find the antiderivatives of the two functions ##5x## and ##\sqrt{25 - x^2}##. You need not bother with trying to construct triangles and semi-circles; just do integrations. You should have done both of these types of integrations in Calculus 1, although you may need to review that material.

Be careful, though: "area under the curve" can be negative, as it would be for the first term ##5x## on the interval ##-5 \leq x \leq 0##, and the whole curve ##y = 5x + \sqrt{25 - x^2}## for part of the interval.

Mhorton91 said:

Homework Statement

a) [-5,0]
b) [-5,5]

Homework Equations

[/B]

[ IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/K...DRLAHbyN722kWKzoj8GHlBugKZLynfMXD7CAw[/PLAIN]

I appreciate any push in the proper direction!

Marshall
It's probably easier to work with the interval [-5, 5] first.

Last edited:
Alright, quote function isn't wanting to work, so go with me here.

RUber. The triangle has a negative area.. That definitely makes sense now that I look at it.

So I'd be looking at something like

(25pi/4) - (125/2)?

I'm at work right now, and can't sit down and rework the problem with that prompt, so that is just the intuitive response. Thank you.

Ray Vickson- I was familiar with the fundamental theorem of integral calculus, and I do remember learning how to find anti derivatives to solve integrals.. I also remember being fairly comfortable with it.. I guess I need to go back to my Calc 1 notebook. Thank you.

SammyS- I had that thought, however the software prompts for the interval [-5,0] and requires an answer prior to prompting for the second interval. Thanks everyone for the help! I hate being behind the curve!
Marshall.Side question, is it my phone, or just how the app is made that it won't show the formulas you have entered?

Mhorton91 said:
RUber. The triangle has a negative area.. That definitely makes sense now that I look at it.

So I'd be looking at something like

(25pi/4) - (125/2)?

I'm at work right now, and can't sit down and rework the problem with that prompt, so that is just the intuitive response. Thank you.

That should be right.

RUber said:
That should be right.

Thanks!

I definitely need to track down my Calc 1 notebook and start working my way back through.

I guess this is a lesson to not take a year off again.

Mhorton91 said:
Thanks!

I definitely need to track down my Calc 1 notebook and start working my way back through.

I guess this is a lesson to not take a year off again.
We all need some time off now and then. I took 7 years off and jumped back into calc 3. It wasn't pretty, but only a few weeks in it got a lot better.

RUber said:
We all need some time off now and then. I took 7 years off and jumped back into calc 3. It wasn't pretty, but only a few weeks in it got a lot better.
I'm hoping for something similar.

This is my first semester at this university. Prior I was at a community college, however their math department was solid, and our Calc 1 class went far enough in that according to our course schedule I've already been exposed to about 2.5 weeks of material... I'm hoping by the time I get to new material I will have transitioned back into the academic mindset.

Thanks again for the help everyone,
Marshall

Likes RUber
Compute the definite integral:
integral_(-5)^0 (sqrt(25-x^2)+5 x) dx
Integrate the sum term by term and factor out constants:
= integral_(-5)^0 sqrt(25-x^2) dx+5 integral_(-5)^0 x dx
For the integrand sqrt(25-x^2), substitute x = 5 sin(u) and dx = 5 cos(u) du.
Then sqrt(25-x^2) = sqrt(25-25 sin^2(u)) = 5 sqrt(cos^2(u)).
This substitution is invertible over -pi/2<u<0 with inverse u = sin^(-1)(x/5).
This gives a new lower bound u = sin^(-1)(-5/5) = -pi/2 and upper bound u = sin^(-1)(0/5) = 0:
= 5 integral_(-pi/2)^0 5 cos(u) sqrt(cos^2(u)) du+5 integral_(-5)^0 x dx
Factor out constants:
= 25 integral_(-pi/2)^0 cos(u) sqrt(cos^2(u)) du+5 integral_(-5)^0 x dx
Simplify cos(u) sqrt(cos^2(u)) assuming -pi/2<u<0:
= 25 integral_(-pi/2)^0 cos^2(u) du+5 integral_(-5)^0 x dx
Write cos^2(u) as 1/2 cos(2 u)+1/2:
= 25 integral_(-pi/2)^0 (1/2 cos(2 u)+1/2) du+5 integral_(-5)^0 x dx
Integrate the sum term by term and factor out constants:
= 25/2 integral_(-pi/2)^0 cos(2 u) du+25/2 integral_(-pi/2)^0 1 du+5 integral_(-5)^0 x dx
For the integrand cos(2 u), substitute s = 2 u and ds = 2 du.
This gives a new lower bound s = (2 (-pi))/2 = -pi and upper bound s = 2 0 = 0:
= 25/4 integral_(-pi)^0 cos(s) ds+25/2 integral_(-pi/2)^0 1 du+5 integral_(-5)^0 x dx
Apply the fundamental theorem of calculus.
The antiderivative of cos(s) is sin(s):
= (25 sin(s))/4|_(-pi)^0+25/2 integral_(-pi/2)^0 1 du+5 integral_(-5)^0 x dx
Evaluate the antiderivative at the limits and subtract.
(25 sin(s))/4|_(-pi)^0 = (25 sin(0))/4-(25 sin(-pi))/4 = 0:
= 25/2 integral_(-pi/2)^0 1 du+5 integral_(-5)^0 x dx
The antiderivative of 1 is u:
= (25 u)/2|_(-pi/2)^0+5 integral_(-5)^0 x dx
(25 u)/2|_(-pi/2)^0 = (25 0)/2-((25 (-pi))/(2 2)) = (25 pi)/4:
= (25 pi)/4+5 integral_(-5)^0 x dx
The antiderivative of x is x^2/2:
= (25 pi)/4+(5 x^2)/2|_(-5)^0
(5 x^2)/2|_(-5)^0 = (5 0^2)/2-(5 (-5)^2)/2 = -125/2:
= (25 pi)/4-125/2
Which is equal to:
Answer: |
| = 25/4 (pi-10)

Likes SteliosVas

Related to Using area to evaluate integrals

1. What is the concept of using area to evaluate integrals?

The concept of using area to evaluate integrals is based on the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function can be interpreted as the area under the curve of that function. This means that by finding the area under a curve, we can determine the value of the integral.

2. How is the area under a curve related to integrals?

The area under a curve is directly related to integrals because the integral of a function is calculated by finding the area under the curve of that function. This is why we can use the concept of area to evaluate integrals.

3. What are the steps involved in using area to evaluate integrals?

The steps involved in using area to evaluate integrals are: 1) understanding the concept of the integral as the area under a curve, 2) setting up the integral by defining the limits of integration and the function to be integrated, 3) using appropriate integration techniques to find the area under the curve, and 4) evaluating the integral to find the final result.

4. Can the concept of using area to evaluate integrals be applied to any function?

Yes, the concept of using area to evaluate integrals can be applied to any function as long as the function is continuous over the interval of integration. This means that the function has no breaks or gaps in its graph and can be defined at every point within the interval.

5. How is using area to evaluate integrals useful in real-life applications?

Using area to evaluate integrals is useful in many real-life applications, such as finding the area under a velocity-time graph to determine the total distance traveled, calculating the volume of irregularly shaped objects, and determining the average value of a function over an interval. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve various problems and make predictions.