Using Demorgan's Theoroem to Simplify C'+D'+A'B'CD

• Thread starter jisbon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplify
In summary, the person is asking for help understanding DeMorgan's theorem and is stumped. The person has learned the following rules: 1) A + A = A, 2) A' + A = 1, 3) (A+BC)=(A+B)(A+C), and 4) A'+B'= (AB)'
jisbon
Homework Statement
Simplify Boolean expression C'+D'+A'B'CD
Relevant Equations
-
Hi all,
I'm new to Demorgan's theorem and hence am dumbfounded on how people actually simplify the equation by just looking at it. I was wondering if there are any tricks to doing so and I will appreciate it if someone can teach me.

In the example of this question, what I can only simply come out with is C'+D'+A'B'CD = (CD)'+ A'B'CD. I can't seem to get around my head what to do next. I do know the following rules though:
A + A = A
A' + A = 1
(A+BC)=(A+B)(A+C)
(A+B)' = A'B'
and
A'+B'= (AB)'

Any tips/tricks for this? Thank you so much!
' = inverse fyi.

Physics news on Phys.org
One problem with such questions is agreeing what constitutes a simpler form.

The only trick I know is to decipher its meaning. In the present case, C'+D'+A'B'CD
is true if not C, or not D, or (C and D and ...)
So it is true whenever not C, and the only other cases we have to consider are where C is true, so any occurrence of C in an AND beyond that is redundant:
C'+D'+A'B'D
Likewise, D:
C'+D'+A'B'

To get this from what you had and the rules, use (a+bc)=(a+b)(a+c), substituting CD for a, A'B' for b and (CD)' for c.

Last edited:
The character played by John Cleese on 'Fawlty Towers' said his to wife "they ought to put you on Mastermind -- special category: the bleedin' obvious" . . .

I think that DeMorgan's rule for by negation interchanging disjunction and conjunction is so obvious that it should not have been named after anyone.

@jisbon: your use of arithmetical symbols and apostrophes instead of logic symbols is non-standard -- please go to the ##\LaTeX## Guide page here or do a search engine lookup ##\cdots## I'm not a Mentor/Moderator here, but I think that you have shown enough work for the other members to be allowed to be of assistance, and I'll be glad to be of assistance if you even merely use ##\land## instead of using + and please find something else, such as brackets or braces, that means whatever you mean by the apostrophes -- sorry to be such a stickler about syntax -- I guess that I'm a little like a compiler in that regard ##\cdots##

Last edited:

What is Demorgan's Theorem?

Demorgan's Theorem is a mathematical principle that states that the complement of a union is equal to the intersection of the complements. In other words, it provides a way to simplify logical expressions by switching the operators and inverting the terms.

How does Demorgan's Theorem apply to simplifying C'+D'+A'B'CD?

In this expression, Demorgan's Theorem can be used to simplify the original expression by first applying the rule to the two terms within the parentheses, C' and D'. This would result in (C'+D')'. Then, the rule can be applied to the remaining terms, A'B'CD, resulting in (A+B+C+D)'. This simplifies the original expression to (C'+D')+(A+B+C+D)'.

Why is simplifying expressions using Demorgan's Theorem useful?

Using Demorgan's Theorem can help to reduce complex expressions into simpler forms, making them easier to understand and work with. It can also help to identify equivalent expressions and eliminate redundancies, making logical statements more efficient.

Can Demorgan's Theorem be used in other contexts besides logical expressions?

Yes, Demorgan's Theorem can also be applied to sets and their operations. It states that the complement of the union of two sets is equal to the intersection of their complements, and vice versa.

Are there any limitations to using Demorgan's Theorem?

While Demorgan's Theorem is a powerful tool for simplifying expressions, it is important to note that it can only be applied to certain types of expressions, specifically those involving logical operators such as AND, OR, and NOT. It cannot be applied to expressions involving other types of operators, such as arithmetic or relational operators.