If A,B are nxn and AB is invertible, then A and B are invertible

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
In summary: You could show, that the kernels of ##A## and ##B## have to be ##\{0\}## and apply the dimension formula ##\dim \ker C + \dim \textrm{im}\, C = n## to show surjectivity.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Let A and B be nxn matrices such that AB is invertible. Show that A and B are also invertible.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel that there are many ways to do this. My first idea was to use the fact that CAB = I and ABC = I for some C, which implies that (CA)B = I and A(BC) = I, which means that A has a right inverse and B has a left inverse. But since A and B are nxn, BC and CA are not just right and left inverses, respectively, but they are the inverses of A and B. Is this correct reasoning?

Also, would it be any better to make use of the isomorphism from matrices and linear transformations, prove the result for linear transformations, and hence prove the result for matrices?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Let A and B be nxn matrices such that AB is invertible. Show that A and B are also invertible.

Homework Equations

I feel that there are many ways to do this. My first idea was to use the fact that CAB = I and ABC = I for some C, which implies that (CA)B = I and A(BC) = I, which means that A has a right inverse and B has a left inverse. But since A and B are nxn, BC and CA are not just right and left inverses, respectively, but they are the inverses of A and B. Is this correct reasoning?

Also, would it be any better to make use of the isomorphism from matrices and linear transformations, prove the result for linear transformations, and hence prove the result for matrices?

Do you know about determinants?

Ray Vickson said:
Do you know about determinants?
I know about them, but in this course we are not allowed to use them yet.

You could show, that the kernels of ##A## and ##B## have to be ##\{0\}## and apply the dimension formula ##\dim \ker C + \dim \textrm{im}\, C = n## to show surjectivity.

Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

This is correct; it is also the easiest way to prove the result.

1. What does it mean for a matrix to be invertible?

For a matrix to be invertible, it means that it has an inverse matrix that, when multiplied together, produces the identity matrix. In other words, the inverse of a matrix "undoes" the original matrix.

2. Why is it important for both A and B to be invertible if AB is invertible?

If only one of the matrices, A or B, is invertible, then the other matrix would have to be singular (non-invertible) in order for their product to be non-invertible. This would limit the usefulness of the product matrix AB. In order for AB to be invertible, both A and B must be invertible.

3. How can I check if a matrix is invertible?

A matrix is invertible if its determinant is non-zero. The determinant of a matrix can be calculated using various methods, such as Gaussian elimination or cofactor expansion. If the determinant is non-zero, then the matrix is invertible.

4. Can a matrix be invertible if it has a row or column of zeros?

No, a matrix cannot be invertible if it has a row or column of zeros. This is because a row or column of zeros in a matrix will result in a determinant of zero, making the matrix non-invertible.

5. Are all square matrices invertible?

No, not all square matrices are invertible. In order for a square matrix to be invertible, it must have a non-zero determinant. If the determinant is zero, then the matrix is non-invertible. For example, a singular matrix with all entries equal to 0 is not invertible.