Using Gambit or a substitute for use with Fluent.

• Thread starter Urmi Roy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluent
In summary, the person is looking for Gambit software to build geometry for use on Fluent, but is unable to find a working torrent. They are also questioning the legality of these downloads and suggest using ANSYS DesignModeler or open source programs, specifically recommending looking into the distribution provided by caelinux.com.
Urmi Roy
Hi,

I recently obtained Fluent 6.3.26 and I was told that I would require Gambit in order to build the geometry for use on Fluent.

However, I can't find anywhere to get Gambit from, since none of the torrents I tried to get it from work.

Could someone tell me where I could get Gambit from or any other software that can be used to construct the geometry fir fluent from? Pls provide a link or something. Also, since I am at home for the holidays, I can't get it from any college-mates.

Physics news on Phys.org
torrents? are these legal copies you are trying to acquire? Also, using "obtained" instead of "purchased" leaves the door open for interpretation...if you know what I mean.

Anyway, it seems that Gambit is going out of production and being replaced with ANSYS DesignModeler.

Other than that, I am sure there are open source programs that you can use to build 3D models. To start, look at the http://www.caelinux.com/CMS/ distribution and what it comes with.

1. What is Gambit and how is it used in conjunction with Fluent?

Gambit is a computer software used for creating and manipulating geometric models for computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations. It is commonly used as a pre-processor for Fluent, another CFD software, to generate the necessary mesh for the simulation.

2. Can I use a substitute for Gambit with Fluent?

Yes, there are alternatives to Gambit that can be used as pre-processors for Fluent. Some popular options include ANSYS Meshing, Pointwise, and ICEM CFD. It is important to note that each software may have its own unique features and capabilities, so it is important to choose one that best suits your needs.

3. Is Gambit necessary for using Fluent?

No, Gambit is not necessary for using Fluent. However, it is a powerful tool for creating meshes and can greatly improve the accuracy and efficiency of CFD simulations. If you are not familiar with other meshing software, Gambit may be a good option to consider.

4. Can Gambit be used with other CFD software besides Fluent?

Yes, Gambit can be used with other CFD software besides Fluent. It is compatible with various CFD solvers such as ANSYS Fluent, ANSYS CFX, and OpenFOAM.

5. Are there any limitations to using Gambit with Fluent?

One limitation of using Gambit with Fluent is that it only allows for structured meshing, meaning that the mesh cells are arranged in a regular pattern. This may not be suitable for all types of simulations. Additionally, Gambit is no longer actively developed and supported by ANSYS. Other meshing software may offer more advanced features and support for newer technologies.