CFD Gambit Meshing: Solving Problem in Blood Flow Analysis

In summary, a Physics graduate starting a PhD in Bioengineering is struggling with learning Gambit / Fluent for blood flow simulations due to lack of CFD experience. They have successfully created geometries and run simulations, but are struggling with refining the mesh for better results. Suggestions include starting with simpler geometries, experimenting with different mesh types, and seeking guidance from others. The "stair-step" mesh may be a good option, but other alternatives such as "Adaptive Mesh Refinement" or "Sizing Functions" can also be used. The availability of the GOCARTS option may depend on the version of Gambit / Fluent being used. Overall, with practice and support, the individual will become more confident in creating meshes and obtaining
Alasdair
Hi everybody,

I am Physics graduate now starting a PhD in Bioengineering, and I have been thrown in the deep end to learn Gambit / Fluent for the purposes of blood flow.

In my undergrad we focused mainly on MathCad and I have no experience of CFD. So I'm really struggling with creating a good mesh.

I've been at it for a few weeks now and can built geometries successfully and run them in Fluent fine, but when it comes to refining my mesh I'm stuck, they are often poor and I worry about the quality of my results.

From what I can gather from various sites and links its seems a "stair-step" mesh would probably best suit my problem but I cannot seem to get it to mesh well at all i.e. it constantly creates crude blocky shapes that often don't sit within my volume. One site mentioned using the Edit - Defaults - Mesh section and to change the GOCARTS option. Unfortunately I cannot seem to find GOCARTS option, though it seems that all the other expected options are there.

Has anyone come across this problem before and perhaps have some advice for me.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there!

As a fellow scientist in the field of bioengineering, I completely understand your struggle with learning Gambit / Fluent for blood flow simulations. It can definitely be overwhelming at first, especially if you don't have much experience with CFD.

Firstly, don't worry too much about the quality of your results at this stage. It takes time and practice to become comfortable with creating meshes and interpreting results. My advice would be to start with simpler geometries and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. This will help you get a better understanding of how Gambit / Fluent works and how to create meshes that are suitable for your specific problem.

Regarding the "stair-step" mesh, it is indeed a good option for blood flow simulations. However, it may not be the best choice for all cases. I would suggest experimenting with different mesh types and seeing which one gives you the best results for your specific problem. You can also try using the "Adaptive Mesh Refinement" feature in Fluent, which can automatically refine the mesh in areas where it is needed.

As for the GOCARTS option, it may depend on the version of Gambit / Fluent you are using. If you cannot find it, it is possible that it is not available in your version. In that case, you can try using other options such as "Match Control" or "Sizing Functions" to refine your mesh.

Lastly, don't be afraid to reach out for help or guidance from your peers, professors, or even online forums like this one. There are plenty of resources and experienced individuals who can offer valuable advice and tips for using Gambit / Fluent in blood flow simulations.

Keep practicing and don't get discouraged. With time and patience, you will become more confident in creating meshes and obtaining reliable results. Best of luck with your PhD!

What is CFD Gambit Meshing?

CFD Gambit Meshing is a process used in computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to create a grid or mesh of points in a 3D space. This mesh is used to discretize the domain of a CFD problem in order to numerically solve partial differential equations that govern fluid flow. In simpler terms, it is a tool used to simulate and analyze fluid flow in a given system.

Why is CFD Gambit Meshing important in blood flow analysis?

In blood flow analysis, CFD Gambit Meshing is important because it allows for accurate and efficient simulation of blood flow within the human body. By using this tool, scientists and researchers can study the effects of different conditions and diseases on blood flow, and potentially develop new treatments and therapies.

What are some common challenges in CFD Gambit Meshing for blood flow analysis?

Some common challenges in CFD Gambit Meshing for blood flow analysis include ensuring proper mesh quality, dealing with complex geometries and boundaries, and accurately capturing the behavior of blood flow in different physiological conditions. It is important to carefully consider these challenges in order to obtain reliable and meaningful results.

What are the benefits of using CFD Gambit Meshing for blood flow analysis?

One of the main benefits of using CFD Gambit Meshing for blood flow analysis is the ability to accurately model and study complex flow patterns and phenomena. This can provide valuable insights into the behavior of blood flow in the human body, and potentially lead to advancements in medical treatments and technologies.

How can CFD Gambit Meshing be improved for blood flow analysis?

There are ongoing efforts to improve CFD Gambit Meshing for blood flow analysis, including developing more advanced meshing algorithms, incorporating patient-specific data into the mesh, and integrating with other simulation tools for a more comprehensive analysis. It is important for researchers to continue to innovate and improve upon this tool in order to advance our understanding of blood flow and its role in human health.