Using Hydraulics to generate electricty

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of hydraulic cylinders to convert mechanical movement into electricity. It is suggested to use a turbine and a generator, with the fluid always traveling in the same direction. However, it is also mentioned that using an engine oil pump or power steering pump with mechanical drive may be more effective and affordable. It is noted that most large wind turbine generators use a passive hydrostatic arrangement. The conversation concludes that converting rotary motion to a linear reciprocating motion and then back to rotary motion may not be the most efficient method.
qaliq
I was wondering if someone could help me here. I would like to understand how hydraulic cylinders can be used to convert mechanical movement (say the up and down motion of something for example) into electricty. I understand you probably need a motor and a genertor but I can't seem to find any information about how to set up the system or how the individual componenets work. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, hydraulic fluid is a fluid, so you'd just use a turbine and a generator. I don't really know what you have in mind, but if you have an oscillation that the cylinder would be absorbing, you'd probably want to have some valving to make the fluid always travel through the turbine in the same direction.

I believe that this was one of the methods that they looked at for harnessing wave power, before settling on air compression instead. On a small scale, I think that using an engine oil pump, power steering pump or a hydraulic gear motor with mechanical drive would be more effective than a turbine (and definitely cheaper). Matching the fluid to the tolerances of the seals can be a problem if using auto parts, though.

fluid pushes the piston-piston reciprocates-reciprocation is converted into rotory(by oscillatory or crank mechanism)-fed to generator-electricity comes out.

I don't know of any way a linear actuator (cylinder) could be used to directly generate electricity. At some point it would have to be converted to a rotary motion from which a traditional generator (electic motor) would be used to create electricity. I believe most large wind turbine generators rotate a passive hydrostatic (hydraulic closed loop pump-to-motor) arrangement. In short, mechanicl rotary motion to hydraulic rotary motion to rotating shaft of a generator.

I don't believe converting rotary motion to a linear reciprocating motion and then back to rotary motion of a generator shaft would be as efficient due to losses in the mechanical gearing involved. Certainly do-able but not the easiest way to go about it.

Related to Using Hydraulics to generate electricty

1. How does hydraulics generate electricity?

Hydraulics generate electricity by using the power of flowing water to turn a turbine. This turbine is connected to a generator, which converts the mechanical energy into electrical energy.

2. What is the principle behind using hydraulics to generate electricity?

The principle behind using hydraulics to generate electricity is the conversion of potential energy to kinetic energy. The water is stored at a higher elevation, creating potential energy. When the water is released and flows through a turbine, it gains kinetic energy which is used to turn the turbine and generate electricity.

3. What are the advantages of using hydraulics to generate electricity?

Some advantages of using hydraulics to generate electricity include its renewable and environmentally friendly nature, as well as its reliability and low maintenance costs. It also has the capability to generate a large amount of electricity, making it suitable for powering entire communities.

4. Can hydraulics be used to generate electricity in all locations?

No, hydraulics can only be used to generate electricity in locations with a reliable water source, such as rivers, streams, or waterfalls. The amount of electricity generated also depends on the volume and speed of the water flow.

5. Are there any limitations to using hydraulics to generate electricity?

One limitation of using hydraulics to generate electricity is that it can be affected by droughts or changes in water levels. It also requires a significant initial investment to build the necessary infrastructure. Additionally, the impact on the environment and wildlife in the surrounding areas must also be considered.