Using Kepler's Second Law - which radius to use?

In summary, when using Kepler's second law, the radius to be used is the radius of the orbit and not the radius of the object. This is because Kepler's Laws deal with orbits and the problem is most likely asking for the distance from the surface of the object to the orbit.
5.98e24

Homework Statement

This is just a general question.

When using Kepler's second law, which radius am I supposed to use to sub into r? Is it the radius of the object (ex. Earth's is 6.38e6 m) or the radius of orbit (ex. Earth's is 1.49e11 m)?

Homework Equations

C = (GM)/(4pi^2) = (r^3)/(T^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know the answer. I've seen solutions that involved using the radius of the object AND the radius of the orbit but I don't know when to use which.

I understand that the answer to this may be painstakingly obvious... but I really would appreciate any responses.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Keplers Laws deal with orbits, therefore you would use the radius of the orbit. The reason you have seen the radius of orbit and the radius of the object is most likely because the problem is asking how far from the surface of the object the orbit is.

bacon said:
Keplers Laws deal with orbits, therefore you would use the radius of the orbit. The reason you have seen the radius of orbit and the radius of the object is most likely because the problem is asking how far from the surface of the object the orbit is.

Many thanks! :smile:

Related to Using Kepler's Second Law - which radius to use?

1. What is Kepler's Second Law?

Kepler's Second Law states that a line connecting a planet to the sun sweeps out equal areas in equal times, meaning that a planet will move faster when it is closer to the sun and slower when it is farther away.

2. How can Kepler's Second Law be used?

Kepler's Second Law can be used to calculate the radius of an orbiting planet or satellite at any given point in its orbit, as well as to predict its future positions.

3. Which radius should be used when applying Kepler's Second Law?

The radius used in Kepler's Second Law is the distance from the center of the orbiting body (e.g. a planet) to the focus (e.g. the sun) at a specific point in the orbit.

4. How is Kepler's Second Law related to the conservation of angular momentum?

Kepler's Second Law is a result of the conservation of angular momentum, which states that the product of an object's mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation remains constant.

5. Can Kepler's Second Law be applied to objects other than planets?

Yes, Kepler's Second Law can be applied to any object orbiting around another object, such as satellites orbiting Earth or moons orbiting a planet.