How Do Levenspiel Plots Determine CSTR Volume for Increasing Reaction Rates?

In summary: Levenspiel plots, specifically in the case of a CSTR when the reaction rate increases with conversion. He is trying to find the necessary volume to reach a conversion of X = 0.5, but is unsure of which area to use on the plot. He initially thought it would be the green area, but realizes he is missing something. He asks for clarification on how to use the plot in this scenario and mentions that he can figure it out when the reaction rate decreases with temperature. He also mentions that he has further questions, such as what would happen if X = 0.15. He shares a link for reference and reiterates his confusion on why it is the orange box, and not the green
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

I am having some difficulty with levenspiel plots, in particular when dealing with a CSTR and when the reaction rate is increasing with conversion. I will give an example plot to demonstrate my point.

Assume we are trying to find the volume of a CSTR necessary to reach a conversion of X = 0.5, with the levenspiel plot given below

What I wonder, is how do I figure out what area should be taken, and why? I initially thought it would be the one in green, but I am missing something important here as far as how to use the levenspiel plot. When it is the other way around (reaction rate is decreasing with temperature), I can figure it out usually, but I seem to be missing something subtle.

Attachments

• levenspiel 1.png
    levenspiel 1.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,686
  • levenspiel 2.png
    levenspiel 2.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 959
Engineering news on Phys.org
This problem raises more questions yet still, what if X = 0.15? That is 0.15*400,000 = 60,000 m^3. Does that mean this reactor needs to be larger to have less conversion?

Attachments

• levenspiel 3.png
    levenspiel 3.png
    41 KB · Views: 1,190
From that page, when it is normal plots (i.e. slope is up with X increases) I am good. It's only for the very specific case I gave that I am having some trouble. Why is it that it is the orange box, and not the green box for the area?

Maylis said:
From that page, when it is normal plots (i.e. slope is up with X increases) I am good. It's only for the very specific case I gave that I am having some trouble. Why is it that it is the orange box, and not the green box for the area?
You need to find [itex]\frac{F}{-r}\times X[/itex]. Geometrically (on the graph), that's the area of the orange box.

Chet

Likes gfd43tg

1. What is a Levenspiel plot?

A Levenspiel plot is a graphical representation of the residence time distribution (RTD) in a continuous stirred tank reactor (CSTR). It is a plot of the fraction of fluid remaining in the reactor as a function of time.

2. Why is a Levenspiel plot useful?

A Levenspiel plot is useful because it can help determine the volume of a CSTR needed to achieve a desired conversion. It can also provide insight into the reactor's performance and any potential issues with mixing or flow.

3. How do you create a Levenspiel plot?

To create a Levenspiel plot, you will need to measure the concentration of the reactant exiting the reactor at different time intervals. Then, plot the fraction of fluid remaining (1-concentration) against time on a logarithmic scale. The slope of the resulting line will give you the reactor's residence time.

4. What is the significance of the slope of a Levenspiel plot?

The slope of a Levenspiel plot represents the reactor's residence time, which is the average time it takes for a fluid particle to pass through the reactor. A steeper slope indicates a shorter residence time, meaning faster reactions and higher conversions can be achieved with a smaller reactor volume.

5. Are there any limitations to using Levenspiel plots?

Yes, there are limitations to using Levenspiel plots. They assume ideal conditions, such as perfect mixing and no mass transfer limitations. In reality, these assumptions may not hold true, and the results from the plot may not accurately reflect the actual reactor performance. Additionally, Levenspiel plots are only applicable for CSTRs and cannot be used for other reactor types.