Using Matrix and Abel's formula to find second solution

In summary, the problem involves finding the second solution, y2, for the given differential equation using two different methods - Abel's theorem and the matrix method. The Wronskian is calculated using both methods and equated to derive a first order differential equation for y2. The solutions for this equation and the use of the derivative of tan(t) in part (b) are still uncertain and require assistance.
Trillionaire

Homework Statement

There is a Differential Equations question that I am stuck:

Consider the equation: [itex](t^2)(y'')-2(t)(y')+(t^2+2)y=0[/itex], where t>0

It is given that y1= t*cos(t) is a solution

(a) There are two formulations for determining the Wronskian, (1) based on the determinant of a matrix which involved a pair of fundamental solutions and their derivatives, and (2) in terms of Abel's formula. Allowing the constant in Abel's formula to be equal to one, equate the two expressions for the Wronskian to derive a first order differential equation for the second solution y2.

(b) Solve the first order equation for this second solution, y2. Note: [itex]d/dt (tan(t)) = 1/(cos^2(t))[/itex]

Homework Equations

Abel's theorem: Wronskian = [itex]c*exp(-\int p(t)\,dt) [/itex]for y'' + p(t)y' + q(t)y =0
Matrix method: Wronskian = (y1)(y2') - (y1')(y2)

The Attempt at a Solution

For the Wronskian I got W = (t*cos(t))(y2') - (cos(t) - t*sin(t))(y2). If I did my derivatives right, that should be correct. For Abel's formula, I got W = e^(t^2). However, I'm not sure if it's possible to solve equation (t*cos(t))(y2') - (cos(t) - t*sin(t))(y2) = e^(t^2). I think I did something wrong, but not sure what. Can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, for part (b), I'm not sure how to approach this. I'm not sure how to use the tan(t) derivative in the equation. Can someone help? Thanks.

1. How do you use Matrix and Abel's formula to find the second solution?

In order to use Matrix and Abel's formula to find the second solution, you will need to first set up a matrix with the coefficients from the differential equation. Then, use Gaussian elimination to reduce the matrix to row echelon form. Finally, use Abel's formula to find the second solution.

2. What is Matrix and Abel's formula?

Matrix and Abel's formula is a mathematical method used to find the second solution of a differential equation. It involves setting up a matrix and using Gaussian elimination to simplify the matrix, followed by using Abel's formula to find the second solution.

3. Why is it important to find the second solution using Matrix and Abel's formula?

Finding the second solution of a differential equation is important because it provides a complete solution to the equation. The first solution is typically easier to find, but the second solution allows for a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the behavior of the system being modeled.

4. Can Matrix and Abel's formula be used for all types of differential equations?

No, Matrix and Abel's formula can only be used for linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It cannot be applied to non-linear or variable coefficient equations.

5. Is there a specific process to follow when using Matrix and Abel's formula?

Yes, in order to use Matrix and Abel's formula correctly, you will need to follow a specific process. This includes setting up a matrix, reducing it to row echelon form, and then using Abel's formula to find the second solution. It is important to carefully follow each step in order to obtain an accurate solution.