Using Maxwell-Boltzman Statistics

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Maxwell-Boltzman statistics in determining the de Broglie wavelength for an electron gas in a metal at 2.7K. After a series of calculations, it is concluded that the classical approximation cannot be used in this case.
says

Homework Statement

Determine if the classical approximation (Maxwell-Boltzman statistics) could be employed for the following case: a) Electron gas in a metal at 2.7K (cubic metal lattice of spacing 2Å)

Homework Equations

Maxwell-Boltzman statistics are acceptable to use if the de broglie wavelength, λ << d

Relation - Particle spacing, d, and density, (N/V) = 1/d3
d = (V/N)1/3

Kinetic energy, KE = p2/2m = 3/2KbT
λ = h/p = h/(3mKbT)1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

2Å = 2*10-10m
(N / V) = 1 / (2Å)3
(N / V) = 1 / 8*10-30m

λ << (V/N)1/3

h3/(3mKbT)3/2 << (V/N)

λ = h3/(3mKbT)3/2

h3/(3mKbT)3/2 << (V/N)

(N/V)(h3/(3mKbT)3/2) << 1

(1 / 8*10-30)(h3/(3mKbT)3/2)

(1 / 8*10-30)(6.62*10-34)3) / (3)(9.109*10-31)(1.38*10-23)(2.7)

4.10*10-124 << 1

So the classical approximation could be used. I'm pretty sure my derivation is correct, but I'm not sure if the calculation is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Far too complicated, and the answer's very wrong. You have a formula for λ, why not use it and compare the result with the given value of d?

So I should just evaluate:
h/(3mKbT)1/2 << 2Å

λ=6.62*10-34/((3)(9.109*10-31)(1.38*10-23)(2.7))λ= 6.5*1018, which is not << 2Å, so we can't use Maxwell-Boltzman statistics

I got 6.5*10-8m, which is still > 2Å. Did you forget to square-root the denominator?

Likes says
Yes, I must have forgot to square-root the denominator. so 6.5*10-8 m> 2Å so Maxwell-Boltzman statistics would not be a good approximation to use.

Last edited:

1. What is Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics?

Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics is a statistical distribution used to describe the distribution of molecular velocities in a gas at a given temperature. It is based on the Maxwell-Boltzmann velocity distribution law, which states that the number of gas molecules with a certain velocity is proportional to the square of that velocity.

2. How is Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics used in scientific research?

Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics is used in many areas of scientific research, such as in thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and physical chemistry. It is also commonly used in the study of gas dynamics, where it helps to explain the behavior of gases at different temperatures and pressures.

3. What is the significance of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution curve?

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution curve is significant because it provides a graphical representation of the distribution of molecular velocities in a gas. It shows that at a given temperature, most molecules have velocities near the average, with a smaller number having higher or lower velocities.

4. How does temperature affect the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution curve?

Temperature has a direct effect on the shape of the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution curve. As temperature increases, the curve shifts to the right, indicating that the average velocity of molecules increases. At higher temperatures, the curve also becomes wider and flatter, showing that there is a greater range of velocities present in the gas.

5. What are the limitations of using Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics?

One of the main limitations of using Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics is that it assumes an ideal gas, which may not accurately describe real gases at high pressures or low temperatures. Additionally, it does not take into account interactions between molecules, which can affect the distribution of velocities. It also does not account for quantum effects in gases composed of small particles.