Using Maxwell Boltzmann distribution to find number of atoms

In summary, the Franck-Hertz experiment showed that the energy difference between the first excited state and the ground state of mercury is 4.86 eV. Using the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution and assuming equal statistical weights for the n = 1 and n = 2 states, we can calculate the number of atoms in the first excited state in a sample of mercury vaporized in a flame at 1563 K with 1.06×1020 atoms. By normalizing the distribution and setting it equal to 1, we can solve for the constant A. Then, using the number of possible states for n = 1 and n = 2, we can set up an equation to integrate and solve for the number
dinospamoni

Homework Statement

You will recall from our discussion of the Franck-Hertz experiment that the energy difference between the first excited state of mercury and the ground state is 4.86 eV. If a sample of mercury vaporized in a flame contains 1.06×1020 atoms in thermal equilibrium at 1563 K, calculate the number of atoms in the first excited state. Assume that the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution applies and that the n = 1 (ground) and n = 2 (first excited) states have equal statistical weights.

Homework Equations

The Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution:

[itex]f(E)=A e^{\frac{E}{k_{b}T}}[/itex]

where A is a constant
k_b is the Boltzmann constant = 8.617*10^-5 eV/K
and T is the temperature

n(E)dE = g(E) * f(E) dE

where n(E) = # per unit energy
g(E) = # of states per energy E
f(E) = MB distribution

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm still having trouble learning how to use distributions, so bear with me (or help me understand it :))

I started off by normalizing the distribution by:

[tex]\int\limits_0^\infty f(E)^2 dE [/tex]

then I set it equal to 1 and solved for A. I found A=3.854.

I think that was the right first step.

and I know that g(E) for n=1 is 2 possible states
and n=2 has 8.

This is as far as I have gotten, as my professor hasn't really gone over how to use these distributions.

My guess is that I set

[itex] 1.06*10^{20} = n_{1}(E) dE + n_{2} (E) dE [itex]

after this I know I have to integrate, but I'm not sure how to set up the limits, among other things.

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind I figured it out!

1. What is the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell Boltzmann distribution is a statistical distribution that describes the distribution of the speeds of particles in a gas at a given temperature. It is based on the laws of thermodynamics and is used to understand the behavior of atoms and molecules in a gas.

2. How is the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution used to find the number of atoms?

The Maxwell Boltzmann distribution can be used to find the number of atoms in a gas by calculating the fraction of atoms that have a certain speed. This is done by using the Boltzmann factor, which is a constant that relates the speed of an atom to its energy at a given temperature.

3. What factors influence the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution?

The Maxwell Boltzmann distribution is influenced by two main factors: temperature and mass of the particles. As the temperature increases, the distribution shifts towards higher speeds, and as the mass of the particles increases, the distribution shifts towards lower speeds.

4. Can the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution be used for all types of gases?

Yes, the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution can be used for all types of gases, as long as the particles in the gas are in thermal equilibrium. This means that the particles have reached the same temperature and are moving at random in all directions.

5. How is the Maxwell Boltzmann distribution related to the ideal gas law?

The Maxwell Boltzmann distribution and the ideal gas law are both based on the kinetic theory of gases, which describes the behavior of gases in terms of the motion of their particles. The Maxwell Boltzmann distribution is used to determine the speed distribution of particles in a gas, while the ideal gas law relates the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas to its number of particles.