Using photogates to find acceleration

In summary, the experiment involves using a dynamic cart and track, XPLorer photogates, meter stick, and blocks to determine the acceleration of the cart at different distances (20, 40, 60, and 80 cm). The track is set at a 5 degree incline and only one good run is done per distance. The results are then placed in a well-labeled table and graphed in a way that the data forms a straight line, with the slope of the line being proportional to the acceleration. Using the slope of the line, the acceleration of the cart can be calculated. This is done by plotting t^2 (time squared) on the x-axis and distance on the y-axis, resulting in a
pradeepk
Perform the following experiment, using the dynamic cart and track, XPLorer
photogates meter stick and blocks. The track is set to an angle of about 5 degree of incline.
Determine the acceleration of the cart from the time it takes to travel the following distances: 20,
40, 60, 80 cm. Use the photogates and XPLorer for timing . Do only one good run per distance.
Place this data in a well-formed and well-labeled table. Use table and grid on the back.
Graph this data in such a way that the data should be a straight line and that the slope of
this line is proportional to the acceleration.
Determine the slope of this line. On the graph identify the run and rise used.
Use this slope to determine the acceleration of the cart. SHOW YOUR WORK!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just confused about the graphing part. Since I am measuring the time it takes for a cart to travel a certain distance, and i graph a distance vs. time graph, then the slope of this would be the velocity. I do not see how I can get the acceleration. Would I first have to divide the distance by the time it takes to travel that distance, to get velocity, and then graph velocity vs. time? Any help would be appreciated..thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
pradeepk said:
Graph this data in such a way that the data should be a straight line and that the slope of
this line is proportional to the acceleration.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am just confused about the graphing part. Since I am measuring the time it takes for a cart to travel a certain distance, and i graph a distance vs. time graph, then the slope of this would be the velocity. I do not see how I can get the acceleration. Would I first have to divide the distance by the time it takes to travel that distance, to get velocity, and then graph velocity vs. time? Any help would be appreciated..thanks.

You should not plot distance vs. time. You should devise a plot as indicated by the question. I assume your cart starts from rest. What equation do you know that relates distance, time and acceleration in this case?

kuruman said:
You should not plot distance vs. time. You should devise a plot as indicated by the question. I assume your cart starts from rest. What equation do you know that relates distance, time and acceleration in this case?

Well the equation that relates distance, time and acceleration is x=xo + vo(t) + 0.5at2. And since the cart starts at rest, it would be D=0.5at2. I am not sure how I can make a graph from this equation..it says the graph is supposed to be linear, but this looks quadratic.

pradeepk said:
Well the equation that relates distance, time and acceleration is x=xo + vo(t) + 0.5at2. And since the cart starts at rest, it would be D=0.5at2. I am not sure how I can make a graph from this equation..it says the graph is supposed to be linear, but this looks quadratic.
Yes it looks quadratic if your y-axis is D and your x-axis is t. Suppose you did not put t on the x-axis, but you put t2 instead. What would the plot look like and what does the slope give you?

kuruman said:
Yes it looks quadratic if your y-axis is D and your x-axis is t. Suppose you did not put t on the x-axis, but you put t2 instead. What would the plot look like and what does the slope give you?

ahh i see now, you would have a linear plot and the slope would give you half the acceleration. I never knew thought about relating these kinematic equations to the problem..thank you so much!

1. What is a photogate?

A photogate is a device that uses a light beam to detect the movement of an object. It consists of a light source and a receiver that are placed across from each other. When an object passes through the light beam, the receiver detects a change in light intensity, which can be used to measure the object's speed and acceleration.

2. How do photogates work?

Photogates work by emitting a beam of light from the light source onto the receiver. When an object interrupts the light beam, the receiver detects a decrease in light intensity, triggering the gate to start measuring time. As the object moves through the gate, the receiver detects an increase in light intensity, indicating that the object has passed through the gate. The gate then stops measuring time, and the data can be used to calculate the object's acceleration.

3. What is the benefit of using photogates to find acceleration?

Photogates provide a quick and accurate way to measure an object's acceleration. They eliminate the need for manual timing and calculations, which can introduce errors. Additionally, photogates can measure acceleration in real-time, making them useful for experiments and demonstrations.

4. How do you set up a photogate to find acceleration?

To set up a photogate, you will need to connect it to a data logger or computer interface. Next, place the photogate in a position where the object's movement will intersect the light beam. You may need to adjust the gate's sensitivity and position to ensure accurate measurements. Finally, connect the photogate to a power source and start collecting data.

5. What are some potential sources of error when using photogates to find acceleration?

Some potential sources of error when using photogates include misalignment of the gate, variations in light intensity, and interference from other light sources. It is essential to calibrate the photogate and ensure that it is properly positioned to minimize these errors. Additionally, the object's motion should be smooth and constant to obtain accurate results.