Using symmetry of action to find the constant of motion

In summary, the conversation discusses applying Noether's theorem to a given transformation and using it to find the constant of motion. The person asking for help is instructed to study up on Noether's proof and to come back with specific questions if needed. The instructor also mentions that relaxing certain assumptions can lead to interesting additional terms related to fluxes of conserved quantities.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2019-2-12_1-15-44.png
upload_2019-2-12_1-16-7.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help in solving second part of this question.
I put ## e^{i \alpha }\psi ## instead of ##\psi ## and got to see that the integrand doesn't change which means the given transformation is a symmetry of the given action. But how to use this information to find out constant of motion?
I have seen a lot of pdf which talk of the transformation ## \psi ## going to ## \psi + \epsilon \eta (x) ##. Since, the transformation given in this problem is different. I do not know with what I should start.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-12_1-15-44.png
    upload_2019-2-12_1-15-44.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 513
  • upload_2019-2-12_1-16-7.png
    upload_2019-2-12_1-16-7.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 547
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Two big hints here... the phrase "treating it as a variational problem in t" and "show that the Noether procedure leads to..." You need to study up on that procedure. I suggest you come back here with more specific questions about that procedure if you're stuck.

I think basically your instructor wants you to show that you understand Noether's proof of her celebrated theorem by applying it in this specific example. Also note that when you carry out the variational procedure (the one usually executed to derive the Euler Lagrange equations of motion) you will get some boundary terms which you need not assume go away. We usually assert [itex]\delta t, \delta x[/itex] are zero on the boundary region. I vaguely recall relaxing this assumption leads to some interesting additional terms having to do with fluxes of conserved quantities across the boundary. But let me emphasize the "vaguely" in that sentence.

Likes Pushoam

1. What is the concept of symmetry of action?

The concept of symmetry of action states that if a physical system remains unchanged under certain transformations, then there exists a corresponding quantity, known as the constant of motion, that remains constant throughout the system's evolution.

2. How can symmetry of action be used to find the constant of motion?

By identifying the transformations that leave a physical system unchanged, one can determine the corresponding constant of motion. This can be done by using mathematical techniques such as Noether's theorem or by analyzing the symmetries of the system's Lagrangian or Hamiltonian.

3. Why is finding the constant of motion important in physics?

The constant of motion provides valuable information about the behavior and dynamics of a physical system. It can help in predicting the future evolution of the system and understanding its underlying principles and laws.

4. Can symmetry of action be used in all physical systems?

Yes, symmetry of action is a fundamental concept in physics and can be applied to all physical systems, from simple mechanical systems to complex quantum systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using symmetry of action to find the constant of motion?

While symmetry of action is a powerful tool in finding the constant of motion, it may not always be applicable in all situations. Some systems may not exhibit any symmetries, making it difficult to determine the constant of motion using this approach.