Using the Green's function for Maxwell

In summary: This is incorrect and leads to an incorrect solution. You need to use a 4D delta distribution in the integral, and then use the definition of the Green's function to evaluate the integral and obtain the correct solution. In summary, using a 3-dimensional delta distribution in a 4D integral leads to an incorrect solution for the time component of the vector potential. The correct solution can be obtained by using a 4D delta distribution in the integral and then evaluating it with the definition of the Green's function.
gentsagree

Homework Statement

I need to calculate, in D=4, the time component of the vector potential, [itex]A_{0}[/itex], given the equation (below) for [itex]A_{\mu}[/itex] with the Green's function, also given below.
The answer is given to be
[tex]A^{0}=+\frac{q}{4\pi}\frac{1}{\mid\overline{x}\mid}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]A_{\mu}=\int d^{D}y G_{\mu\nu}(x,y)J^{\nu}[/tex]
I think [itex]G_{\mu\nu}[/itex] can be used in Feynman gauge as [itex]G_{\mu\nu}=\delta_{\mu\nu}G(x-y)[/itex], where [itex]G(x-y)=\frac{\Gamma(\frac{1}{2}D-2)}{4\pi^{D/2}(x-y)^{(D-2)}}[/itex] is the massless scalar Green's function.

I am given the current as [itex]J^{\mu}(x)=\delta^{\mu}_{0}q\delta(\overline{x})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What I have done is the following:

[tex]A_{0}=\int d^{4}y \delta_{0\nu}G(x-y)\delta^{\nu}_{0}q\delta(\overline{y})=\delta_{0\nu}\delta^{\nu}_{0}G(\overline{x})q[/tex]
[tex]=-\frac{\Gamma(\frac{1}{2}(2))}{4\pi^{2}\mid\overline{x}\mid^{2}}q[/tex]
[tex]A^{0}=-A_{0}=+\frac{q}{4\pi^{2}}\frac{1}{\mid\overline{x}\mid^{2}}[/tex]

where I treated [itex]\delta_{0\nu}\delta^{\nu}_{0}=\eta_{00}=-1[/itex]

In words, I plug in the definition for the current, solve the integral for the delta function and substitute the definition for the Green's function, evaluated at modx instead of x-y, by means of the change of variable induced by the delta function.
So I get an extra power of pi and of mod(x). Where am I goin wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

You have used a 3-dimensional delta distribution to perform a 4D integral.

Related to Using the Green's function for Maxwell

1. What is the Green's function for Maxwell?

The Green's function for Maxwell is a mathematical tool used in the study of electromagnetism. It represents the response of the electromagnetic field to a point source located at a specific point in space and time.

2. How is the Green's function for Maxwell used in research?

The Green's function for Maxwell is used to solve various boundary value problems in electromagnetism, such as finding the electric and magnetic fields generated by a point charge or current, or determining the response of a material to an external electromagnetic field.

3. What is the mathematical expression for the Green's function for Maxwell?

The mathematical expression for the Green's function for Maxwell is a solution to the Maxwell's equations in the form of a function that depends on the source location and the properties of the material. It is typically represented by the symbol G.

4. How is the Green's function for Maxwell related to the Green's function for other physical systems?

The Green's function for Maxwell is a specific case of the more general Green's function concept, which is used in various areas of physics and engineering to solve differential equations. However, the specific form of the Green's function for Maxwell is unique to the study of electromagnetism and cannot be directly applied to other physical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Green's function for Maxwell?

While the Green's function for Maxwell is a powerful tool in solving electromagnetic problems, it does have some limitations. It assumes a linear and isotropic medium, and cannot be used for non-linear or anisotropic materials. In addition, the Green's function is only applicable to static or time-harmonic fields, and cannot be used for transient situations.