V-i characteristics for voltage divider with current source

In summary, the problem asked for the i-v characteristics of a network with a current source and two resistors. The textbook solution provided an incorrect answer of i = (v/4) + (v/5 + 2), when it should be i = (v/4) + 2. The current through the 5Ω resistor is always 2A, regardless of the value of the resistor.
CoolFool
This is a problem from Foundations of Analog and Digital Electronic Circuits by Agarwal & Lang, I'm going through it by myself, I'm not in a course, so I'm depending on you friendly forum people for help! I really like this book but it has a lot of errors, perhaps this is another error.

1. Homework Statement

Sketch the i-v characteristics for the network. Label intercepts and slopes.
2_8_e.jpg

Homework Equations

The solution PDF for this textbook says that the answer is
i = (v/4) + (v/5 + 2)
i = (9/20)v + 2
So the slope is 9/20 and the i-intercept is 2 Amps.

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is i = v/4 + 2, which I got from connecting a current source to the terminal and solving the circuit for i. So the slope is 1/4, the i-intercept is 2 Amps.

I tried simulating the circuit on partsim.com with a DC sweep and I think it confirmed my answer, but I don't really know my way around circuit simulators yet so maybe I messed up.

I understand that the solution PDF got its answer by plugging Ohm's law into i = i1 + i2, where i1 is current through the 4 Ohm resistor and i2 is current through the 5 Ohm resistor.

But didn't it get i2 wrong? Shouldn't i2 = 2 Amps, because the current through the 5 Ohm resistor goes directly into the ideal current source which is set at 2 Amps?

So in my view, the 5 Ohm resistor could be any resistance, it doesn't matter, because there will always be 2 Amps going through it. Am I correct? (Obviously for real life elements this wouldn't hold up but I'm talking ideal elements here). I still am not totally comfortable with the intuition behind ideal current sources so confirming/denying this would really help me out.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks good to me.

I agree. I looked at two cases..

Vin = 0 so no current flows through the 4 Ohm. Means Iin = 2A
Iin = 0 so all of the 2 Amp flows through the 4 Ohm. Means Vin = -8V.

Plot both points. Slope is 2/8 = 1/4.

My answer is i = v/9 + 10/9
Solved by summing currents to 0 at the output (top of the 5 ohm), & solving for i (and output voltage).
EDIT I drew the picture wrong. :H
Post #5 is correct. Interesting that the 5 ohm plays no part in the i-V characteristic.

Last edited:
The 5 Ohm is horizontal. Do you mean the top of the 4 Ohm? I tried applying KCL to the node at top of the 4Ohm and get...

Let into the node be +ve then...

Iin - I4ohm - 2 = 0......(1)

Apply Ohms law to the 4Ohm..

I4ohm = Vin/4 ......(2)

substitute (2) into (1)

Iin - (Vin/4) - 2 = 0

Rearrange..

Iin = (Vin/4) + 2

Same result as my previous attempt. Slope = 1/4, intersects at +2A

CoolFool said:
The solution PDF for this textbook says that the answer is
i = (v/4) + (v/5 + 2)
This is wrong. It should be i = (v/4) + 2

The current through the 5Ω resistor is a fixed 2A. End of story.

What is a voltage divider?

A voltage divider is a circuit that divides a supplied voltage into smaller parts using resistors. It is commonly used to provide a specific voltage output from a larger voltage source.

How does a current source affect the voltage divider?

A current source is a device that maintains a constant flow of current regardless of the voltage across it. In a voltage divider with a current source, the current remains constant while the voltage across each resistor varies based on their individual resistance values.

What is the V-i characteristics of a voltage divider with current source?

The V-i characteristics of a voltage divider with current source show how the voltage output varies with changes in the input current. This can be represented by a graph, with the voltage on the y-axis and the current on the x-axis.

How do you calculate the voltage output of a voltage divider with current source?

To calculate the voltage output of a voltage divider with current source, you can use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to determine the voltage across each resistor, and then add them together to get the total voltage output. The ratio of the individual resistances will also determine the voltage output.

What are the applications of a voltage divider with current source?

A voltage divider with current source is commonly used in electronic circuits to provide a specific voltage output for various components such as sensors, transistors, and ICs. It is also commonly used in power supply circuits to regulate the output voltage.