V of 2 parallel lines makes cylinders

In summary, the conversation discussed a homework problem involving infinitely long wires with ±λ charge densities intersecting the y-axis at ±a. Part A asked for the calculation of V(x,y,z) with the given condition and the solution was easily found. Part B was not originally part of the question and asked for the proof that the equipotential surfaces are circular cylinders, as well as determining the axis and radius of the cylinder at potential V0. The manual did not have a solution for this part.
bowlbase

Homework Statement

Expanded from Griffith's (3rd ed) #2.47

Infinitely long wires parallel to x-axis carrying ±λ charge densities intersect the y-axis at ±a.

A) Calculate V(x,y,z) if V(0,0,0)=0
B)Show that the equipotential surfaces are circular
cylinders. Locate the axis and calculate the
radius of the cylinder that is at potential V0.

Homework Equations

Gauss, -∫Edl
E=-∇V
?x2+y2=r2?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the solution to part A easily enough but I'm not sure how to approach B. I know that at the origin the potential is zero along the x-axis but I'm confused by how I should show that these are both circular cylinders.

I'd post my solution for A but it's exactly the same as the solution manual so it's easy enough to find.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd post my solution for A but it's exactly the same as the solution manual so it's easy enough to find.

Why not look at your solutions manual. . .

The part b is not part of the original question. Thus, not in the manual.

hmm, never mind I guess it was in the manual. Sorry thought that he just added it. thanks anyway.

I am intrigued by this problem and its connection to Griffith's textbook. To address part B, we can use the properties of equipotential surfaces and the formula for a circle to show that the equipotential surfaces are indeed circular cylinders.

First, let's define an equipotential surface as a surface where the potential is constant at all points. In this case, we are dealing with a 2-dimensional equipotential surface, since we are only considering the y-axis.

Next, we can use the formula for a circle, x^2 + y^2 = r^2, to represent the shape of the equipotential surfaces. Since we know that the potential is constant along these surfaces, we can say that V(x,y) = V0 for all points on the surface. Plugging this into the equation for a circle, we get (x^2 + y^2) = r^2 = constant.

This means that the equipotential surfaces are circles with a constant radius, which is determined by the potential V0. Since the equipotential surfaces are centered around the y-axis, we can say that the axis of the cylinder is the y-axis.

To calculate the radius of the cylinder, we can use the value of V0 and the known values of x and y at any point on the surface. For example, if we choose the point (x=a, y=0), we can plug these values into the equation (x^2 + y^2) = r^2 = constant to get (a^2 + 0^2) = V0. This means that the radius of the cylinder is √V0.

In conclusion, we have shown that the equipotential surfaces are indeed circular cylinders, with the y-axis as the axis and a radius of √V0. This further illustrates the relationship between electric potential and equipotential surfaces, and how they can help us visualize and understand electric fields.

Related to V of 2 parallel lines makes cylinders

1. What is the concept of "V of 2 parallel lines makes cylinders"?

The concept refers to the formation of a cylinder when two parallel lines are connected by a curve. This curve can be a circle or any other shape that is parallel to the two lines.

2. How is the volume of a cylinder calculated?

The volume of a cylinder is calculated by multiplying the area of the base (which is a circle) by the height of the cylinder. The formula for this is V = πr²h, where r is the radius of the base and h is the height of the cylinder.

3. What is the relationship between the parallel lines and the resulting cylinder?

The parallel lines serve as the bases of the cylinder, while the connecting curve forms the lateral surface of the cylinder. The distance between the two parallel lines is equal to the height of the cylinder.

4. Can the "V of 2 parallel lines makes cylinders" concept be applied to other shapes?

Yes, the concept can be applied to other shapes as well. For example, when two parallel lines are connected by a square, it forms a rectangular prism. Similarly, a triangle connecting two parallel lines would form a triangular prism.

5. What are some real-life applications of the "V of 2 parallel lines makes cylinders" concept?

Cylinders are commonly found in everyday objects such as cans, bottles, and pipes. They are also used in engineering and construction for structures like columns and pillars. In nature, tree trunks and bones also exhibit the "V of 2 parallel lines makes cylinders" concept.