Vab = Van - Vbn? Exploring the Basics

• Thread starter influx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basics
In summary, Van is voltage at a referenced to n. Vbn is voltage at b referenced to n, and the potential difference between them is the voltage drop across phase a (Van) plus the voltage drop across phase b (Vbn).
influx
vbn.png

Why is Vab = Van -Vbn? I'm doing this after a while so maybe I'm getting something basic wrong but surely the potential difference between lines A and B is the voltage drop across phase a (Van) plus (rather than minus) the voltage drop across phase b (Vbn)?? So Vab = Van + Vbn?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Notice orientations of '+' poles of source voltages Van and Vbn as you go through the loop a-n-b-a

zoki85 said:
Notice orientations of '+' poles of source voltages Van and Vbn as you go through the loop a-n-b-a
I thought it had something to do with the signs but I've kind of forgotten. Could you elaborate please?

Cheers

Ok let me illustrate this with DC circuits:
Untitledcbe56.png

Can you see the difference between case I and II ?

In a simple DC circuit, if one point is at +6 volts, and another point is at +6 volts, what is the potential difference between the two? Is it 12 volts, or is it zero?

If one point is at +6 volts and another is at -6 volts, what is the potential difference?

Do you add the readings, or do you subtract them?

zoki85 said:
Untitledcbe56.png

Case I: Going from a to b is Van + Vbn ?
Case II: Going from a to b is Van - Vbn?

NascentOxygen said:
In a simple DC circuit, if one point is at +6 volts, and another point is at +6 volts, what is the potential difference between the two? Is it 12 volts, or is it zero?

If one point is at +6 volts and another is at -6 volts, what is the potential difference?

Do you add the readings, or do you subtract them?
The first is 0V
The second is 12V?

How does that apply to this problem?

influx said:
Case I: Going from a to b is Van + Vbn ?
Case II: Going from a to b is Van - Vbn?
:)

zoki85 said:
Untitledcbe56.png

There is no difference. In either case the P.D. is given by the same equation.

Van is voltage at a referenced to n. Vbn is voltage at b referenced to n, that convention is clear.
So the P.D. is always Vab = Van - Vbn, and consistent with your output arrow direction.

Did you intend something different?

Arrow denotes voltage Vab (missing in the drawings). Vbn changes polarity so the outputs Vab aren't same in both circuits

Last edited:

Related to Vab = Van - Vbn? Exploring the Basics

1. What is the meaning of "Vab = Van - Vbn"?

The equation "Vab = Van - Vbn" represents the potential difference between points A and B, which can be calculated by subtracting the potential at point B (Vbn) from the potential at point A (Van).

2. How is "Vab = Van - Vbn" related to electric circuits?

"Vab = Van - Vbn" is commonly used in electric circuit analysis to determine the voltage difference between two points in a circuit. It is also known as Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL).

3. Can "Vab = Van - Vbn" be used for both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, "Vab = Van - Vbn" is applicable to both DC (direct current) and AC (alternating current) circuits as long as the potential at points A and B are measured at the same time.

4. What are the units of measurement for "Vab = Van - Vbn"?

The units for potential difference can vary depending on the context, but they are typically measured in volts (V) or millivolts (mV).

5. Are there any limitations to using "Vab = Van - Vbn"?

One limitation is that the equation assumes a linear relationship between voltage and current in a circuit. It may not accurately represent the behavior of non-linear circuits such as those with diodes or transistors.