Vacuum chamber pressure calculation in TOKAMAKS

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the pressure in a TOKAMAK vacuum chamber. The speaker is asking for an explanation on how to calculate the pressure and if there is an equation for it. They mention that the pressure should be around 10^-7 and that different tokamaks may use different pressures. They also mention searching for information online but not finding any specific calculations.
Dr. Octavious
Hello all!

I understand the concept of the TOKAMAK vacuum chamber, but can someone explain to me how I can actually calculate the pressure in which I need the chamber to be evacuated? I know it should be in the range of approximately 10^-7 or so but more specifically, is there an equation to calculate the actual number?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Better will work better, and different tokamaks will use different pressures. Did you check the publications?

mfb said:
Better will work better, and different tokamaks will use different pressures. Did you check the publications?
I've searched online in PDFs and some, related to my question, publications but I couldn't find anything besides general information regarding vacuum and its typical values for a tokamak. I didn't find anything regarding a calculation process.

Related to Vacuum chamber pressure calculation in TOKAMAKS

What is a vacuum chamber in a TOKAMAK?

A vacuum chamber in a TOKAMAK is a specially designed vessel that is used to create and maintain a low-pressure environment for plasma experiments. It is typically made of high-strength materials, such as stainless steel, and is lined with various insulating materials to prevent heat loss and maintain the plasma temperature.

Why is vacuum pressure important in TOKAMAKS?

Vacuum pressure is important in TOKAMAKS because it is a crucial factor in controlling the behavior of the plasma. A low-pressure environment is necessary to create and sustain the high temperatures needed for fusion reactions to occur. It also helps to prevent the plasma from interacting with air molecules, which can disrupt the fusion process.

How is vacuum pressure calculated in TOKAMAKS?

Vacuum pressure in TOKAMAKS is typically calculated using a combination of pressure gauges and sensors placed inside the vacuum chamber. These instruments measure the number of gas molecules per unit volume and use that data to calculate the pressure. The pressure can also be estimated using gas law equations, taking into account factors such as temperature and volume.

What is the ideal vacuum pressure for a TOKAMAK?

The ideal vacuum pressure for a TOKAMAK depends on the specific experiment and the desired plasma conditions. Generally, the pressure should be low enough to create a stable plasma, but not too low to cause excessive energy loss. For most experiments, pressures in the range of 10^-5 to 10^-7 torr are considered optimal.

How is vacuum pressure controlled in TOKAMAKS?

Vacuum pressure in TOKAMAKS is controlled by regulating the flow of gases into and out of the vacuum chamber. This is typically done using a combination of pumps and valves, which can adjust the pressure as needed. The pressure is constantly monitored and adjusted to maintain the desired conditions for the plasma experiment.