Valley degeneracy in tunneling current

In summary: This factor is important in calculating the tunneling current, as shown in the equation provided. In summary, the valley degeneracy factor is a measure of the number of valleys in the band structure of a material and is important in calculating the tunneling current using the provided equation.
Noki Lee
I'm trying to understand the valley degeneracy to calculate the tunneling current.

Here is the equation of tunneling current.$$I_T=q\frac {g_sg_v} {L} \sum_{k} v_g(k)(f_v-f_c)T$$

##g_v## is valley degeneracy. I thought it comes from the symmetry of structures, depending on a certain point in k-space like below

$$I_T=q\frac {g_s} {L} \sum_{k} g_v(k)v_g(k)(f_v-f_c)T$$

How can I count the number of valley degeneracy?
And what I'm misunderstanding?

Physics news on Phys.org
The valley degeneracy factor, g_v, is a measure of the number of valleys, or distinct energy minima, in the band structure of the material. It is related to the symmetry of the crystal lattice and the number of distinct energy minima that exist in the Brillouin zone. In general, it is determined by counting the number of distinct points in the Brillouin zone where the band has a minimum energy. This number may be equal to 1, 2, 3, or more, depending on the material and its lattice structure. For example, in a two-dimensional honeycomb lattice, the band structure includes two distinct valleys at the corners of the Brillouin zone (K and K'), so the valley degeneracy factor, g_v, would be equal to 2.

1. What is valley degeneracy in tunneling current?

Valley degeneracy in tunneling current refers to the phenomenon where electrons in a material can occupy multiple energy states, known as valleys, with the same energy level. This can occur in certain materials, such as silicon, where the energy bands have multiple valleys due to the crystal structure.

2. How does valley degeneracy affect tunneling current?

Valley degeneracy can significantly impact the tunneling current in a material. This is because electrons can tunnel between different valleys, resulting in a higher overall tunneling current. Additionally, the presence of multiple valleys can lead to complex interference patterns in the tunneling current.

3. What factors influence the level of valley degeneracy in a material?

The level of valley degeneracy in a material is influenced by various factors, including the crystal structure, the strength of the electric field, and the presence of impurities. Additionally, the band structure and energy gaps of the material can also impact the level of valley degeneracy.

4. How is valley degeneracy measured in tunneling current experiments?

In tunneling current experiments, valley degeneracy can be measured by analyzing the interference patterns in the tunneling current. These patterns can provide information about the number of valleys present in the material and their energy levels.

5. Can valley degeneracy be controlled or manipulated in materials?

Yes, valley degeneracy can be controlled and manipulated in materials through various techniques, such as applying an external electric field or introducing impurities. This can be useful in designing materials for specific electronic and optoelectronic applications.