Value of the shunt resistor in this circuit

In summary, Kirchhoff's 2nd law can be used to help solve a problem where current is split at a junction.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Find value of shunt resistor in circuit
Relevant Equations
Ohms law
Here are a couple of questions that I have been trying to answer and had a go at it.
Not sure if I answered some incorrectly so was hoping to get some guidance

Screenshot 2020-02-08 at 21.58.52.png

thumbnail_IMG_3814.jpg

Screenshot 2020-02-08 at 21.59.02.png

thumbnail_IMG_3815.jpg

Screenshot 2020-02-08 at 21.59.11.png

thumbnail_IMG_3819.jpg

Screenshot 2020-02-08 at 21.59.21.png

For this one I have tried to make use of Kirchhoff's 2nd law to help me, but this is what I have ended up with when using it

thumbnail_IMG_3822.jpg

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work on the first three looks fine.
In the last one, isn't Ic the current through the ammeter? That is not 1A.
Seems to me that the set up is the same as in the third problem, so you can use the same method.

Moderator's note: Please post only a single problem per thread. This post should have been broken up into four separate threads.

Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara
haruspex said:
Your work on the first three looks fine.
In the last one, isn't Ic the current through the ammeter? That is not 1A.
Seems to me that the set up is the same as in the third problem, so you can use the same method.

Thanks I have realized that voltage across the shunt and coil would be the same as they are connected in parallel. And that current would also split too at the junction.

I did this and get a resistance of 0.25 ohms for the shunt

thumbnail_IMG_3823.jpg

gneill said:
Moderator's note: Please post only a single problem per thread. This post should have been broken up into four separate threads.

My apologies, I'll try not to do this again next time

Bolter said:
Thanks I have realized that voltage across the shunt and coil would be the same as they are connected in parallel. And that current would also split too at the junction.

I did this and get a resistance of 0.25 ohms for the shunt

View attachment 256866
Yes, but you can get there more quickly. You know that 1A-200mA=800mA is going through the shunt. That's 4 times the current for the same voltage, so a quarter of the resistance.

Likes Bolter
haruspex said:
Yes, but you can get there more quickly. You know that 1A-200mA=800mA is going through the shunt. That's 4 times the current for the same voltage, so a quarter of the resistance.

Yes this is much more efficient way of doing now that I can see :)

Likes berkeman

What is the purpose of a shunt resistor in a circuit?

A shunt resistor is used in a circuit to measure the current passing through a specific component or section of the circuit. It acts as a low-resistance path for the current to pass through, allowing for the measurement of the voltage drop across it.

How do you calculate the value of a shunt resistor?

The value of a shunt resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, where the desired voltage drop (V) is divided by the desired current (I). The resulting value is the resistance (R) of the shunt resistor. R = V/I

What factors should be considered when choosing a shunt resistor for a circuit?

When choosing a shunt resistor, factors such as the desired voltage drop, maximum current, power rating, and tolerance must be taken into account. Additionally, the resistance value of the shunt should be low enough to minimize the effect on the circuit's overall resistance.

What happens if the value of the shunt resistor is too high?

If the value of the shunt resistor is too high, it will create a larger voltage drop and decrease the accuracy of the current measurement. This can also cause the shunt resistor to overheat and potentially damage the circuit.

How does the value of the shunt resistor affect the accuracy of current measurement?

The value of the shunt resistor directly affects the accuracy of current measurement. A lower resistance value will result in a smaller voltage drop and a more accurate measurement. However, a very low resistance value can also affect the circuit's performance and may require additional calibration.