Valve to vent entire volume upon reaching a set pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment that pressurizes a small volume at variable rates and the need to reproducibly drop the pressure of the container by a known amount while it is being pressurized. The participants consider using valves or a computer-controlled feedback loop to achieve this, with varying levels of precision. They also mention the possibility of using a solenoid valve for a less precise solution.
nlis12
Greetings,

I have an experiment that pressurizes a small volume at variable rates. 1, 2, and 3 psi/sec. I am trying to think of a way to reproducibly drop the pressure of the container by a known amount while it is being pressurized. Are there valves for this type of experiment? What are other ways I can achieve a controlled pressure drop?

Any help or insights are welcome.
Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you clarify the expression "drop the pressure of the container by a known amount while it is being pressurized?" Some numbers here to get a handle on the pressures being discussed would be helpful.

Let's say the container is being pressurized at 2psi a second. I want to decrease the pressure of the system by 2psi at any point in time in a reproducible way.

Does this make sense?

The problem is that the pressurization rate will change as the receiving vessel's pressure rises so there is no one vent valve flow rate and time to shutoff combination that will work. The only possible solution I can envision right now might be a possibly vent valve controlled by a computer module with a receiving vessel mounted pressure sensor that is programmed with a time vs. sensing pressure opening time curve contoured to the system supply rate vs the vent valve flow rates that when triggered will open the vent valve for a time proportional to the supply vs vent valve flow rates at any given vessel pressure.

You don't say how accurate and how repeatable it has to be. For maximum precision, I agree with @JBA , a feedback loop and a computer is the most direct approach. But if you don't need precision, then a solenoid valve that opens for a fixed duration of time may be good enough.

1. What is a "valve to vent entire volume upon reaching a set pressure"?

A "valve to vent entire volume upon reaching a set pressure" is a type of safety valve that is designed to release all of the fluid or gas within a container when a certain pressure is reached. This helps prevent overpressure and potential hazards.

2. How does a "valve to vent entire volume upon reaching a set pressure" work?

These valves have a spring-loaded mechanism that keeps the valve closed until the pressure in the container reaches a certain level. Once this set pressure is reached, the valve opens and releases the entire volume of fluid or gas, reducing the pressure inside the container.

3. Where are "valve to vent entire volume upon reaching a set pressure" commonly used?

These types of valves are commonly used in industrial settings, such as in chemical processing plants, oil refineries, and power plants. They are also used in pressure vessels, boilers, and other systems that contain high-pressure fluids or gases.

4. What are the benefits of using a "valve to vent entire volume upon reaching a set pressure"?

The main benefit of using these valves is safety. By releasing the entire volume of fluid or gas, they prevent the pressure from building up and causing a potential explosion or other hazards. They also help protect equipment from damage due to overpressure.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a "valve to vent entire volume upon reaching a set pressure"?

One potential drawback is that in some cases, releasing the entire volume of fluid or gas may result in loss of product or downtime. To mitigate this, some systems may use multiple safety valves to release smaller amounts of fluid or gas at a time. Additionally, proper maintenance and testing of these valves is crucial to ensure they are functioning correctly and not releasing unnecessarily.