Van Der Graaf Generator with no discharge wand

In summary, a Van Der Graaf Generator with no discharge wand is a device that uses static electricity to generate high voltages. It works by using a belt to build up a charge on a metal sphere, and the discharge wand is used to safely release the charge. While it can be dangerous if not used properly, it has various practical applications in science, industry, and education.
nmsurobert
I came across a three Van Der Graaf generators in a closet here where I work. None of them have the discharge wand. Does anyone have any DIYs for a wand?

Physics news on Phys.org
I used an alligator clip, a wooden stick, and a ball of aluminum foil and it seems to do the trick.

Likes anorlunda
nmsurobert said:
I came across a three Van Der Graaf generators in a closet here where I work.
What fun. I wish I had a closet like that. But some of my co-workers found a V2 rocket in the bushes, but of course it was not in usable condition.

Likes nmsurobert and Klystron

1. What is a Van Der Graaf Generator with no discharge wand?

A Van Der Graaf Generator with no discharge wand is a scientific instrument that produces high voltages by using static electricity. It consists of a metal sphere or dome that is connected to a motorized belt or rubber band, which creates friction and builds up static electricity. However, unlike a traditional Van Der Graaf Generator, it does not have a discharge wand to release the built-up charge.

2. How does a Van Der Graaf Generator with no discharge wand work?

A Van Der Graaf Generator with no discharge wand works by using the principle of static electricity. The motorized belt or rubber band creates friction against the metal sphere or dome, causing electrons to build up and create a high voltage. This high voltage can then be used for various scientific experiments or demonstrations.

3. What are the uses of a Van Der Graaf Generator with no discharge wand?

A Van Der Graaf Generator with no discharge wand has various uses in scientific experiments and demonstrations. It can be used to demonstrate the principles of static electricity, as well as to power other scientific instruments that require high voltages. It can also be used in educational settings to teach students about electricity and electromagnetism.

4. Is a Van Der Graaf Generator with no discharge wand safe to use?

Yes, a Van Der Graaf Generator with no discharge wand is generally safe to use. The high voltages it produces are not strong enough to cause harm to humans or animals. However, it is always important to follow safety precautions and use the instrument under the supervision of a trained professional.

5. Can a Van Der Graaf Generator with no discharge wand be used for practical applications?

While a Van Der Graaf Generator with no discharge wand is mainly used for scientific demonstrations and experiments, it can also have practical applications. For example, it can be used in industry to remove dust particles from surfaces or to neutralize static electricity in certain processes. However, it is not as commonly used for practical applications as other types of generators.