Vapor-compression refrigeration system - boiling & critical point

In summary,The lower the boiling point the better?As room pressure and temperature already can change the phase without working at vacuum?But there is transcritical CO2 cycle, which the critical point is so low, and people are using it... is it an exceptional case? or is my concept correct?Thank you in advance.Honestly, this homework question is pretty vague. I'd ask your instructor to specify what his criteria for "better" are. My interpretation is based on coefficient of performance.
yecko
Gold Member
Homework Statement
In vapor-compression refrigeration system, should boiling & critical points be the higher the better or the lower the better?
Relevant Equations
T-s diagram
Is it the lower the boiling point the better? As room pressure and temperature already can change the phase without working at vacuum?
And the higher critical point means it is hard to reach super critical phase?

But there is transcritical CO2 cycle, which the critical point is so low, and people are using it... is it an exceptional case? or is my concept correct?
thank you in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
Honestly, this homework question is pretty vague. I'd ask your instructor to specify what his criteria for "better" are. My interpretation is based on coefficient of performance.

I'm assuming "boiling point" here means the vapor's state at the evaporator. And I think you have the right idea that the critical point limits the condenser temperature. Think about a Carnot refrigeration cycle. What do you want from the condenser and evaporator temperatures to get a higher coefficient of performance?

I would not worry about transcritical cycles because the critical point is not a relevant parameter for them. I don't think this problem expects you to think about them.

1602841338188.png

This is the problem, which I am quite confused with the concepts.

Twigg said:
What do you want from the condenser and evaporator temperatures to get a higher coefficient of performance?

A higher TL and a lower TH?

Twigg said:
I would not worry about transcritical cycles because the critical point is not a relevant parameter for them. I don't think this problem expects you to think about them.

We also learned about transcritical CO2 cycle in the same chapter. Which without change of state, it is correct to say " heat be absorb and release only by heat capacity"?

Thank you

yecko said:
A higher TL and a lower TH?
This is correct, but somehow when I posted my reply I had it backwards in my head. Please disregard that suggestion about using the Carnot cycle coefficient of performance. Really sorry about that.

Why don't you draw a TS diagram for a sub-critical vapor-compression cycle, labeling the critical point and "normal boiling point" (as the evaporator temperature). Is a refrigerant with a higher/lower critical point more or less versatile? Do the same exercise for the boiling point. Next, draw a transcritical cycle. Do the same limitations apply?

1. What is a vapor-compression refrigeration system?

A vapor-compression refrigeration system is a type of refrigeration system that uses a compressor to circulate refrigerant through a series of components in order to remove heat from a space or substance and maintain a cool temperature.

2. How does a vapor-compression refrigeration system work?

In a vapor-compression refrigeration system, the refrigerant is compressed by a compressor, causing it to become a high-pressure, high-temperature gas. This gas then travels through a condenser, where it is cooled and condensed into a liquid. The liquid refrigerant then passes through an expansion valve, which reduces its pressure and temperature, causing it to evaporate into a low-pressure, low-temperature gas. This gas then absorbs heat from the surrounding space or substance, cooling it down. The refrigerant then returns to the compressor to start the cycle again.

3. What is the boiling point in a vapor-compression refrigeration system?

The boiling point in a vapor-compression refrigeration system is the point at which the refrigerant changes from a liquid to a gas. This typically occurs in the evaporator, where the low-pressure, low-temperature refrigerant absorbs heat and evaporates. The exact boiling point will depend on the type of refrigerant used in the system.

4. What is the critical point in a vapor-compression refrigeration system?

The critical point in a vapor-compression refrigeration system is the point at which the refrigerant reaches a temperature and pressure at which it can no longer exist as a liquid or a gas. This point is important to consider when selecting a refrigerant, as operating a system beyond its critical point can cause damage and inefficiency.

5. What are the advantages of using a vapor-compression refrigeration system?

One of the main advantages of using a vapor-compression refrigeration system is its efficiency. By using a compressor to circulate the refrigerant, these systems are able to remove a large amount of heat from a space or substance with relatively little energy input. They are also versatile and can be used for a wide range of cooling applications, from small household refrigerators to large industrial systems.