Variable Problem for 2D Kinematics

In summary, an extreme sportsman needs to jump horizontally with a velocity of w√(9.81/2h) to successfully cross a width (w) with a height difference (h) between cliffs. The direction of motion is given by tan(theta) = -2h/w, with theta being the angle the velocity makes with the x-axis.
apoptosis
Here's another variable problem

Homework Statement

An extreme sportsman jumps from one cliff to another of width (w) by leaping horizontally by vo. With a height difference of h (where the starting cliff is higher) what is vo so he doesn't miss the cliff? (also, what is the direction of motion)

Homework Equations

xo=0
x=w, y=0
vox=0
ax=0

voy=0
ay=-g
yo=h

The Attempt at a Solution

Determine time of landing:
0=y=h-(1/2)gt[tex]^{2}[/tex]
t=[tex]\sqrt{2h/g}[/tex]

Determine vo:
x=vot
vo=xo/t=x[tex]\sqrt{g/2h}[/tex]
vo=w[tex]\sqrt{9.81/2h}[/tex]

does this look correct so far?

I'm stuck at finding the direction of motion, i know the equation is:
[tex]\vartheta[/tex]=tan[tex]^{-1}[/tex]vy/vx
vy=-gt=[tex]\sqrt{2hg}[/tex]

=tan[tex]^{-1}[/tex][tex]\sqrt{2hg}[/tex]/(w[tex]\sqrt{g/2h}[/tex])
=tan[tex]^{-1}[/tex] (2h/w) degrees of the horizontal component

but, I'm not sure if this is exactly right...

Physics news on Phys.org
apoptosis said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Determine time of landing:
0=y=h-(1/2)gt[tex]^{2}[/tex]
t=[tex]\sqrt{2h/g}[/tex]
OK.

How much time does he take to cross a horz dist of w, if he starts off with a horz velo of v0? Equate that time with the time you have got.

The final dircn is given by tan(theta) = vy/vx, at that point.

Thank you for your response.
I was wondering if you could please elaborate on your post.
My work is in my original post where i substituted time into the vot equation. Is this what you meant by equating time with the time that i have? (not quite sure what you mean)

also, i have used that tan ratio for direction of motion. does my resultl look reasonable? or is there a way i can simplify the variables?

The time to make the jump: Solve for t in: h = ½*g*t^2.
And then solve for v0 in: s = v0*t.

For the direction, just make the two values an vector, and determine the angle.

apoptosis said:
Determine vo:
x=vot
vo=xo/t=x[tex]\sqrt{g/2h}[/tex]
vo=w[tex]\sqrt{9.81/2h}[/tex]

does this look correct so far?

It is absolutely correct. Somehow, I overloked this part. Sorry for that.

I'm stuck at finding the direction of motion, i know the equation is:
[tex]\vartheta[/tex]=tan[tex]^{-1}[/tex]vy/vx
vy=-gt=[tex]\sqrt{2hg}[/tex]

Where's the minus sign of (-gt) gone? The value is OK. The direction is given by tan(theta) = -2h/w, where theta is the angle the velo makes with the x-axis, that is, the direction of v0. Since the body is moving downward and to the right, the angle is negative.

Related to Variable Problem for 2D Kinematics

1. What is a variable problem for 2D Kinematics?

A variable problem for 2D Kinematics refers to a scenario where the motion of an object in two dimensions (x and y) is affected by changing variables such as velocity, acceleration, and displacement. These problems require the use of equations and formulas to solve for unknown variables and understand the motion of the object.

2. How do you approach solving a variable problem for 2D Kinematics?

To solve a variable problem for 2D Kinematics, you first need to identify the known and unknown variables and the given information. Then, you can use equations such as the kinematic equations or vector equations to solve for the missing variable. It is important to draw a diagram and label all the components of the problem to visualize the motion and determine the appropriate equations to use.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector in 2D Kinematics?

A scalar in 2D Kinematics is a quantity that only has magnitude, such as speed or distance. On the other hand, a vector has both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or acceleration. In 2D Kinematics, vectors are represented by arrows, where the length represents the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector.

4. What are some common units used in 2D Kinematics?

Some common units used in 2D Kinematics include meters (m) for displacement and distance, meters per second (m/s) for velocity and speed, meters per second squared (m/s^2) for acceleration, and radians (rad) for angles. It is important to pay attention to the units when solving problems to ensure the correct answer.

5. How can 2D Kinematics be applied in real-life situations?

2D Kinematics is used in various real-life situations, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, understanding the motion of objects in sports like basketball or football, and analyzing the motion of vehicles in traffic. It is also essential in engineering and design, as it helps in creating and testing prototypes of machines and structures. Additionally, 2D Kinematics is used in navigation, such as in GPS systems and flight paths of airplanes.