Variation in Schwinger's quantum action principle

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Schwinger's quantum action principle in various papers and books, along with the restriction of variations to c-numbers and the lack of mention of such restrictions by Schwinger himself. It also mentions Schwinger's restriction for quantum field theory and the assumption that commutation properties of variations and the structure of the lagrangian must be related. The question remains about why Schwinger only restricts variations in the case of quantum field theory.
Neutrinos02
At the moment I'm working with the quantum[/PLAIN] action principle of J. Schwinger. For this I read several paper and books (like: Quantum kinematics and dynamics by J. Schwinger, Schwinger's Quantum action principle by K.A. Milton, http://arxiv.org/abs/1503.08091, Introduction to quantum field theory by P. Roman and The Theory of Quantized Fields. I by J. Schwinger and some more).

Some authors restricted the variations to be c-numbers. But I don't really understand why this restriction makes sense?
Schwinger itself does not mentioned any restriction for quantum mechanics in his book "Quantum kinematics and dynamics". He also didn't assume that the variations commute with the other operators.

But he made some restriction for QFT in his paper "The Theory of Quantized Fields. I" under equation (2.17):

This expression for [itex] \delta_0 \mathcal{L} [/itex] is to be understood symbolically, since the order of the operators in [itex]\mathcal{L}[/itex] must not be altered in the course of effecting the variation. Accordingly, the commutation properties of [itex]\delta _0 \phi^a[/itex] are involved in obtaining the consequences of the stationary requirement on the action integral. For simplicity, we shall introduce here the explicit assumption that the commutation properties of [itex]\delta _0 \phi^a[/itex] and the structure of the lagrange function must be so related that identical contributions are produced by terms that differ fundamentally only in the position of [itex]\delta _0 \phi^a[/itex].

Why did Schwinger restrict the variations only in the case of quantum field theory?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am quite unsure what the OP is asking for. The Schwinger action principle involves the partition function written in terms of the effective action. I haven't come across the need to consider commutation relations when doing variations of the Lagrangian. Either way I will suggest another book from Toms, "The Schwinger Action Principle and Effective Action ".

Likes vanhees71

1. What is Schwinger's quantum action principle?

Schwinger's quantum action principle is a mathematical framework developed by physicist Julian Schwinger to describe the dynamics of quantum mechanical systems. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that a system will follow the path of least action, or energy, to reach a particular state. This principle is used to calculate the probability of a system evolving from one state to another in quantum mechanics.

2. What is variation in Schwinger's quantum action principle?

Variation in Schwinger's quantum action principle refers to the change in the action, or energy, of a system as it evolves from one state to another. This variation is calculated using the principle of least action and is used to determine the probability of a system transitioning from one state to another in quantum mechanics.

3. How does Schwinger's quantum action principle account for variation?

Schwinger's quantum action principle takes into account variation by calculating the change in action between the initial and final states of a system. This is done using the principle of least action, which states that the system will follow the path of least energy to reach a particular state. By calculating the variation in action, the probability of a system transitioning from one state to another can be determined.

4. What is the significance of variation in Schwinger's quantum action principle?

Variation is a crucial component of Schwinger's quantum action principle because it allows for the calculation of the probability of a system transitioning from one state to another in quantum mechanics. This is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems, which can be highly unpredictable and complex.

5. How is variation in Schwinger's quantum action principle calculated?

Variation in Schwinger's quantum action principle is calculated using the principle of least action, which involves finding the path of least energy between two states of a system. This is done by taking the derivative of the action with respect to the system's variables and setting it equal to zero, which gives the path of least action. The variation in action is then calculated by integrating the action along this path.