Variation of the Liar's Paradox

rmberwin
A variation of the Liar's Paradox occurred to me: "Statistics are wrong 90% of the time". This statement seems to refute itself, but does so in a less straightforward way. I would appreciate any insights! And what about, "Statistics are wrong 50% of the time"? (Even odds.)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rmberwin said:
A variation of the Liar's Paradox occurred to me: "Statistics are wrong 90% of the time". This statement seems to refutes itself, but does so in a less straightforward way. I would appreciate any insights! And what about the statement, "Statistics are wrong 50% of the time"? (Even odds.)
This makes utterly no sense to me.

rmberwin said:
A variation of the Liar's Paradox occurred to me: "Statistics are wrong 90% of the time". This statement seems to refutes itself, but does so in a less straightforward way. I would appreciate any insights! And what about the statement, "Statistics are wrong 50% of the time"? (Even odds.)
Anything less than a certainty of 100% removes the paradox. It leaves the possibility that the statement is true.

FactChecker said:
Anything less than a certainty of 100% removes the paradox. It leaves the possibility that the statement is true.
But if the statement is true, then it is probably (90%) false. That is the paradox.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
rmberwin said:
But if the statement is true, then it is probably (90%) false. That is the paradox.
"Probably" is not the same as definitely. That is why it is not a paradox.
I could say that I am 26,823 days old and probably be wrong. But maybe not.

rmberwin said:
If the statement is true, then it is one of the 10% of true statements. No paradox.

Likes FactChecker

What is the Liar's Paradox?

The Liar's Paradox is a self-referential paradox that occurs when a statement refers to itself in a way that creates a logical inconsistency. The classic version of this paradox is the statement: "This statement is false." If the statement is true, then it must be false, but if it is false, then it must be true, leading to a contradiction.

What are variations of the Liar's Paradox?

Variations of the Liar's Paradox often involve altering the structure or content of the original statement to explore different aspects of logical and linguistic inconsistency. Examples include "The next statement is true. The previous statement is false," or modifying the context in which the statement is made, to further analyze the boundaries of truth and falsehood in self-referential sentences.

How do variations of the Liar's Paradox impact the study of logic?

Studying variations of the Liar's Paradox helps logicians and philosophers understand the limitations and capabilities of formal systems in dealing with self-reference and inconsistency. These studies can lead to the development of more robust logical frameworks that can handle paradoxes more effectively, influencing areas such as mathematical logic, linguistic analysis, and even computer science, particularly in fields dealing with self-referential algorithms.

Can the Liar's Paradox be resolved?

There are several theoretical approaches to resolving the Liar's Paradox, though none are universally accepted. These include using alternative logics like paraconsistent logic, where contradictions don’t necessarily lead to a collapse of the system, or dialetheism, where some contradictions are considered true. Each solution has implications for how truth and falsehood are conceptualized within philosophical and logical frameworks.

What practical implications does understanding the Liar's Paradox and its variations have?

Understanding the Liar's Paradox and its variations has practical implications in fields that require rigorous logical frameworks, such as computer programming, artificial intelligence, and legal theory. For instance, in AI, dealing with self-referential statements responsibly can help in designing systems that better manage paradoxical or contradictory inputs. In legal contexts, understanding these paradoxes can aid in interpreting statements that might otherwise lead to ambiguous or contradictory legal interpretations.