Vector Addition: Which Statement is True?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving adding vectors and determining the resultant vector. The correct answer is e. 2A+2B=2C, as the resultant of adding vectors A and B is -C, not C. The question is not about the magnitudes of the vectors, but rather their directions.
rasen58

Homework Statement

The diagram shows 3 vector all of equal length. Which statement is true?
a. A+B=A-C
b. A+B=B-C
c. A-B=2A-C
d. A-B=2A+C
e. 2A+2B=2C
upload_2015-1-3_18-53-6.png

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I just added them in my head, and thought that e. 2A+2B=2C would also work. Why doesn't it?

Attachments

• upload_2015-1-3_18-52-4.png
    upload_2015-1-3_18-52-4.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 457
  • upload_2015-1-3_18-52-4.png
    upload_2015-1-3_18-52-4.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 477
Physics news on Phys.org
To see where you might have gone wrong, try the following. On a sheet of paper, draw just the two sides of the triangle representing A and B making sure you include the arrow heads. Now, on that picture, draw in the vector that represents the result of adding A and B making sure you include the arrow head on the result. Now compare your resultant vector with the vector C in the original picture.

I got the same picture?

The resultant points in the direction that C is pointing in the image.

rasen58 said:
Not correct.

rasen58 said:

No, this is the reason you're having trouble with the problem. See the attached figure and try to answer the question shown there. If you need to, refer back to the link I gave earlier or check your notes or textbook.

Attachments

• Vector Addition.png
    Vector Addition.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 440
Oh I see, C should be pointing from the tail of A to the head of B.
But then the magnitude of C would still be the same though, so how does that help?

rasen58 said:
Oh I see, C should be pointing from the tail of A to the head of B.
But then the magnitude of C would still be the same though, so how does that help?
Those equations in the Original Post are vector equations.

It's not that C should be in the opposite direction, it's that the resultant of adding A and B is -C .

rasen58 said:
C should be pointing from the tail of A to the head of B.
The resultant of A and B points that way. Saying C points that way when C is already defined the other way in the problem statement is confusing.
rasen58 said:
the magnitude of C would still be the same though,
Yes, but the question doesn't ask about magnitudes.

SammyS said:
It's not that C should be in the opposite direction, it's that the resultant of adding A and B is -C .
Oh wow, I see now. Thanks.

1. What is a vector sum?

A vector sum is the result of adding two or more vectors together. It is a mathematical operation used to calculate the net direction and magnitude of multiple vectors.

2. How do you calculate a vector sum?

To calculate a vector sum, you must first determine the component vectors' direction and magnitude. Then, add the corresponding components of each vector to get the final direction and magnitude.

3. What is the difference between a scalar sum and a vector sum?

A scalar sum is the result of adding two or more scalar quantities, which only have magnitude. A vector sum, on the other hand, involves both magnitude and direction.

4. Is a vector sum a true statement?

Yes, a vector sum is a true statement because it is a mathematical operation with a defined process and result. The final vector sum represents the net direction and magnitude of the original vectors.

5. Can vector sums be used in real-life applications?

Yes, vector sums are used in many real-life applications, such as navigation, engineering, and physics. They are used to calculate forces, velocities, and other important quantities in these fields.