Vector and scalar potentials for an EM plane wave in a vacuum

In summary, the Lorentz gauge states that the divergence of the vector potential A is equal to the negative product of the magnetic permeability and electric permittivity, multiplied by the partial derivative of the scalar potential V with respect to time. Gauss's law states that the sum of the Laplacian of the scalar potential V and the product of the magnetic permeability and electric permittivity with the second partial derivative of V with respect to time is equal to the charge density divided by the electric permittivity. The Ampere-Maxwell equation states that the sum of the Laplacian of the vector potential A and the product of the magnetic permeability and electric permittivity with the second partial derivative of A with respect to time is
Natchanon
Homework Statement
Note: E, B, A, J and x are vectors, and w is omega, the angular frequency.
Determine the vector potential A(x,t) and scalar potential V(x,t) in the Lorentz gauge, for the linearly polarized plane wave described by
E(x,t) = E_0 e^(i(kz-wt)) x_hat
B(x,t) = B_0 e^(i(kz-wt)) y_hat,
with the boundary condition that the potentials must be finite at infinity. (Hint: Let V = 0)
Relevant Equations
1. E and B above
2. Lorentz gauge: ∇⋅A = -μ_0 ε_0 ∂V/∂t
3. Gauss' law in terms of V: -∇^(2)V + μ_0ε_0∂^(2)V/∂t^(2) = ρ/ε_0
4. Ampere-Maxwell law in terms of A: -∇[SUP]2[/SUP]A + μ[SUB]0[/SUB]ε[SUB]0[/SUB]∂[SUP]2[/SUP]A/∂t[SUP]2[/SUP] = -μ[SUB]0[/SUB]J
5. B_0 = E_0 / c
6. c = w/k
Lorentz gauge:A = -μ0ε0∂V/∂t
Gauss's law: -2V + μ0ε02V/∂t2 = ρ/ε0
Ampere-Maxwell equation: -2A + μ0ε02A/∂t2 = μ0J
I started with the hint, E = -V - ∂A/∂t and set V = 0, and ended up with
E0 ei(kz-ωt) x_hat = - ∂A/∂t
mult. both sides by ∂t then integrate to get A = -i(E0/ω)ei(kz-ωt) x_hat
Now this looks good to me at first, as it satisfies B = × A , which gives the B(x,t) equation in the homework statement. And since we let V = 0, it satisfies Gauss' law in vacuum where ρ = 0. But when i checked the Ampere-Maxwell equation, setting J = 0 because we're in vacuum, the first term is fine as it gives 0, but the second term gives μ0ε0iE0ωei(kz-ωt), which isn't equal zero.
Where did I go wrong? Is it my method of finding A or do I misunderstand the Ampere-Maxwell equation? Or something else? Is A even supposed to be imaginary?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Natchanon said:
the first term is fine as it gives 0

It does not. Please show your computation.

Note that the equation is just a wave equation for ##\vec A##.

Likes Delta2 and Natchanon
Orodruin said:
It does not. Please show your computation.

Note that the equation is just a wave equation for ##\vec A##.
Ok, I forgot and treated A as a scalar when calculating ∇^2. So,
2A = (∇⋅A) - × ( × A) = (∂Ax/∂x) - (× B)
First term, we have partial A_x / partial x, but x-component of A doesn't depend x, so it's zero, thus, the first term is zero. The second term is μ0J, which is zero, unless there is something I misunderstand. So even after finding vector laplacian of A, the first term is still 0 for some reason. I don't know what's going on here.

it is ##\nabla \times B=\mu_0(J+\epsilon_0\frac{dE}{dt})## so its not just ##\mu_0J##..

(You forgot the displacement current term dE/dt)

• Love
Likes Natchanon
Delta2 said:
it is ##\nabla \times B=\mu_0(J+\epsilon_0\frac{dE}{dt})## so its not just ##\mu_0J##..

(You forgot the displacement current term dE/dt)
Thank you. It all makes sense now!

Likes Delta2
Natchanon said:
Ok, I forgot and treated A as a scalar when calculating ∇^2.
As long as you do things in a Cartesian basis you can factor out the basis vectors and treat the components of ##\nabla^2 \vec A## separately. The issue you were having is solved by #4.

What is a vector potential in the context of an EM plane wave in a vacuum?

A vector potential is a mathematical concept used to describe the direction and magnitude of a vector quantity, such as electric or magnetic fields, in the presence of an electromagnetic (EM) plane wave in a vacuum. It is related to the electric and magnetic fields by the Maxwell's equations.

How is a scalar potential related to a vector potential in an EM plane wave?

A scalar potential is a mathematical function that describes the magnitude of a scalar quantity, such as electric or magnetic potential, in the presence of an EM plane wave. In the context of an EM plane wave in a vacuum, the scalar potential is related to the vector potential through the gradient operator.

What are the physical implications of the vector and scalar potentials in an EM plane wave in a vacuum?

The vector potential describes the direction and magnitude of the electric and magnetic fields in an EM plane wave, while the scalar potential describes the magnitude of the electric and magnetic potential. Together, these potentials provide a complete description of the EM plane wave in a vacuum and allow for the prediction of its behavior and interactions with matter.

How are the vector and scalar potentials affected by the properties of the medium through which the EM plane wave travels?

The vector and scalar potentials are affected by the properties of the medium through which the EM plane wave travels, such as its dielectric constant and magnetic permeability. These properties can alter the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields and, in turn, change the values of the vector and scalar potentials.

What practical applications do the vector and scalar potentials have in the field of electromagnetics?

The vector and scalar potentials have numerous practical applications in the field of electromagnetics, such as in the design of antennas, radar systems, and other communication devices. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves in different materials, which is essential in fields such as optics and materials science.