Vector Calculus (non conservative vector fields

In summary, the conversation revolved around evaluating the integral of a vector field over a path, specifically using dot products and curl in two dimensions. The question of path dependence versus independence was also discussed. The solution involved substituting a given function into the integral and using appropriate limits to solve for the answer.
jonathanm111
the question:
Screenshot_5.png

My attempt:
1536x864.jpeg.41ef1bf67c0d431180ecfbc94046d75c.jpg

The partial derivatives did not match so i simply tried to find f(x,y) I got the set of equations on the right but that's about it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 596
  • 1536x864.jpeg.41ef1bf67c0d431180ecfbc94046d75c.jpg
    1536x864.jpeg.41ef1bf67c0d431180ecfbc94046d75c.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 632
Physics news on Phys.org
## dr=\hat{i} dx+\hat{j} dy ## . With ## y=6x^2 ## it should be a simple matter to evaluate ## \int_C F \cdot dr ## over the path. Do you know how to take a dot product?(This one is in two dimensions instead of three). ## \\ ## For part B, all you need to do is take ## \nabla \times F ## in two dimensions. If it is non-zero, the integral of ## \int_C F \cdot dr ## will be path-dependent.

Charles Link said:
## dr=\hat{i} dx+\hat{j} dy ## . With ## y=6x^2 ## it should be a simple matter to evaluate ## \int_C F \cdot dr ## over the path. Do you know how to take a dot product?(This one is in two dimensions instead of three).
I do know how to take the dot product but if its a simple matter with y=6x^2 then I must be missing something here. do you take the derivative of y and put it in dy and then solve for x and do the same thing? and then the dot product?

## \int_C F \cdot dr=\int 9xy \, dx+\int 8y^2 \, dy ##. It doesn't get much easier. You substitute in ## y=6x^2 ## in the first integral. In both integrals, be sure and use the x-limits for the x-integral, and the y-limits for the y.

Likes jonathanm111
Additional problem: You can see that the line ## y=6x ## also connects the two endpoints. Try computing ## \int F \cdot dr ## over this straight line path between the same two points. Do you get the same answer? ## \\ ## If not, the integral is clearly path dependent. And if the answer is yes, the integral could still be path dependent for some other paths. The way to prove path dependence or independence is to look at ## \nabla \times F ##.

Last edited:
Likes jonathanm111
Charles Link said:
## \int_C F \cdot dr=\int 9xy \, dx+\int 8y^2 \, dy ##. It doesn't get much easier. You substitute in ## y=6x^2 ## in the first integral. In both integrals, be sure and use the x-limits for the x-integral, and the y-limits for the y.
alright i got it to work, its 1179/2.
Charles Link said:
Additional problem: You can see that the line ## y=6x ## also connects the two endpoints. Try computing ## \int F \cdot dr ## over this straight line path between the same two points. Do you get the same answer? ## \\ ## If not, the integral is clearly path dependent. And if the answer is yes, the integral could still be path dependent for some other paths. The way to prove path dependence or independence is to look at ## \nabla \times F ##.
And you'd get a different answer so its path-dependent. so we could actually use this information for B

Likes Charles Link
I had to google the curl in two dimensions=I'm used to working in 3 dimensions. It is simply ## (\frac{\partial{Q}}{\partial{x}}-\frac{\partial{P}}{\partial{y}}) \hat{k} ##, where ## F=P \hat{i}+Q \hat{j} ##. ## \\ ## If you compute it, it should turn out to be non-zero, because you have already demonstrated a path dependence.

last quick question: how did you know to substitute the y into the x-integral

jonathanm111 said:
last quick question: how did you know to substitute the y into the x-integral
That was a logical step, because it then made the x integral completely a function of ## x ##. ## \\ ## You could also have substituted that into the ## y ## integral, (## y=6x^2 ## ==>> ## dy=12x \, dx ##), and then solved the y-integral as a dx integral, using x-limits. That would have made extra unnecessary work though.

Likes jonathanm111

1. What is a non conservative vector field?

A non conservative vector field is a vector field in which the line integral of its vector components depends on the path taken, rather than just the initial and final points. This means that the total work done by the vector field on an object moving along a closed path is not zero.

2. How is a non conservative vector field different from a conservative vector field?

A conservative vector field is one in which the line integral of its vector components is path-independent, meaning that the work done by the vector field on an object moving along a closed path is always zero. This is not the case for a non conservative vector field.

3. What is the significance of a non conservative vector field?

Non conservative vector fields can represent physical systems that involve energy loss or gain, such as friction or a force that is not conservative. They are also important in understanding fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

4. How is a non conservative vector field represented mathematically?

A non conservative vector field is represented by a vector function, where each component of the vector depends on the position in space. In other words, it is a function of x, y, and z coordinates.

5. How can one determine if a vector field is non conservative?

One way to determine if a vector field is non conservative is to calculate the line integral along two different closed paths and compare the results. If the values are not equal, the vector field is non conservative.