Vector Calculus: Solving for Yukawa Potential & Electric Field

In summary, the conversation involves a question about the consequences of photons having mass, specifically in regards to the Laplace equation and the Yukawa potential. The conversation goes on to discuss the solutions of the Yukawa potential, the corresponding electric field, and the divergence and curl of the field. Finally, the conversation addresses a question about a line integral and the use of spherical coordinates in calculating it.
Benny
Hi, can someone provide some suggestions? I'm stuck on the following questions.

Q. In this question we will consider the consequences if photons had mass. For massive photons the Laplace equation for the electric potential is replaced by [itex]\nabla ^2 \Phi = m^2 \Phi [/itex]. (*)

a) Use spherical coordinates to show that the Yukawa potential given by

[tex]\Phi = \frac{{qe^{ - mr} }}{r}[/tex]

is a solution of (*). Here q and m are constants. (Note: The Yukawa potential thus replaces the Coulomb potential for a point charge at the origin.)

b) Find the corresponding Yukawa electric field

[tex]\mathop E\limits^ \to = E\left( r \right)\mathop r\limits^ \to = - \nabla \Phi [/tex]. (The r is supposed to be a unit vector)

c) Is div(E) = 0 in regions excluding the origin, i.e. in regions without charge? Is curl(E) = 0?

d) Calculate:

[tex]\int\limits_C^{} {\mathop E\limits^ \to \bullet d\mathop s\limits^ \to } [/tex] where C is the curve paramterised by

[tex]\left( {r,\theta ,\phi } \right) = \left( {1 + 2\cos t,3t,2t} \right),t \in \left[ {0,2\pi } \right][/tex].

Here is what I did.

In part a, I worked out the Laplacian in spherical coordinates, said something about the independence of [itex]\Phi [/itex] on theta and phi, calculated the derivative of [itex]\Phi [/itex] with respect to r and showed that it equaled the RHS. Is that correct?

Part b: In part 'a' I calculated the derivative of [itex]\Phi [/itex] with respect to r (the derivatives with respect to theta and phi are zero).

[tex]
\frac{{\partial \Phi }}{{\partial r}} = - q\left( {\frac{{mr + 1}}{{r^2 }}} \right)e^{ - mr}
[/tex]

So

[tex]
\mathop E\limits^ \to = - \nabla \Phi = \left( {q\left( {\frac{{mr + 1}}{{r^2 }}} \right)e^{ - mr} } \right)\mathop r\limits^ \to
[/tex] ?

c) I did this by actually calculating the curl and divergence. Is there an easier way? (I found that the divergence is non-zero and the curl is zero)

d) Ok at first glance, two problems.

(1) I don't get what's with the [itex]d\mathop s\limits^ \to [/itex]. Isn't ds normally reserved for arc length? If its a line integral then shouldn't the ds be a dr or a dx?

(2) Ignoring (1) and taking the ds to be dx = c'(t)dt then we have a line integral. Evaluating E(c(t)) and calculating the line integral looks impossible. But since E looks like it's conservative (it's the gradient of a scalar function), I was thinking maybe make use of the function [itex]d\mathop s\limits^ \to [/itex].

To this end, I would calculate c(0) = (3, 0, 0) and c(pi/2) = (2, ..., ...). Can I now plug these values the following?

[itex]\Phi = \frac{{qe^{ - mr} }}{r}[/itex]

It's just that this question involves spherical coordinates so I'm not sure if the [itex]\Phi \left( {final} \right) - \Phi \left( {initial} \right)[/itex] approach is valid.

Any help would be good thanks.

Note: This is not from a physics subject so no knowledge of physics should be required.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is a line integral, but along the arclength. So, technically speaking [itex]d\mathop s\limits^ \to [/itex] is a vector. In rectangular coordinates it would simply be <dx,dy,dz>. In spherical coordinates, it would be a little bit more complex in the theta and phi directions. But since in the integral you are projecting it along E, and E is entirely in the r direction, you don't have to worry about the theta and phi directions. It simply becomes the integral of E times dr. So you would integrate Edr from the starting to ending values of r.

Ok thanks.

Related to Vector Calculus: Solving for Yukawa Potential & Electric Field

1. What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the analysis of vector fields, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It involves the study of operations such as differentiation and integration applied to vector fields.

2. What is the Yukawa potential?

The Yukawa potential is a mathematical function that describes the potential energy between two particles as a function of their distance. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the interaction between particles that have a strong force acting on them, such as protons and neutrons.

3. How is the Yukawa potential related to the electric field?

The Yukawa potential is related to the electric field through the Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The electric field is the gradient of the potential, meaning it is a measure of the rate of change of the potential at a given point.

4. How is vector calculus used to solve for the Yukawa potential?

Vector calculus is used to solve for the Yukawa potential by applying the gradient operation to the potential function. This results in a vector field, where each point in space has a corresponding vector that points in the direction of the steepest increase in potential. The magnitude of this vector at a given point represents the strength of the potential at that point.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving for the Yukawa potential and electric field?

The Yukawa potential and electric field have various applications in physics and engineering. For example, they are used in the study of atomic and subatomic particles, the design of electrical circuits, and the analysis of electromagnetic fields. They are also used in fields such as chemistry, biology, and geology to understand the behavior of charged particles and their interactions with other particles.