Vector differential displacement - Magnetic vector potential

In summary: But ##I## is a scalar and ##d\vec{l}'## is a vector. In summary, The vector magnetic potential at point P1 can be found by splitting the problem into 3 parts and solving for the potential along the x-axis and y-axis. The unit vectors help keep track of the components in the integral and the other two differentials should be easier to solve. The direction of the current "I" determines the direction in which to integrate and can be negative. The vector differential displacement depends on the direction of integration and is not always constant in Cartesian coordinates.
italy55

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/a/k7fwG
Find the vector magnetic potential at point P1.

Homework Equations

Vector magnetic potential given by:
$$
d \bar{A} = \frac{\mu I d\bar{l'}}{4 \pi | \bar{r} - \bar{r'} | }
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I split up the problem in 3 parts,

first solve for potential along the x-axis:
$$ A_x= \frac{\mu I }{4 \pi } \int \frac{\mu I d\bar{l'}}{4 \pi | \bar{r} - \bar{r'} | } = \frac{\mu I }{4 \pi } ln(sqrt(2) +1) $$
$$ \bar{r} =(a,a,0) , \bar{r'} = (x',0,0) , \bar{dl'} = \bar{e_x} dx'
$$

second, I guess this one is the same except the sign:
$$ A_y= \frac{\mu I }{4 \pi } \int \frac{\mu I d\bar{l'}}{4 \pi | \bar{r} - \bar{r'} | } = - \frac{\mu I }{4 \pi } ln(sqrt(2) +1) $$
in the first one, I put $$ \bar{r} =(a,a,0) , \bar{r'} = (0,y',0) , \bar{dl'} = - \bar{e_y} dy' (wrong??)
$$

-----------------

My questions is about the vector differential displacement $$ \bar{dl'} $$, how does the vector differential displacement change between the first, second and the third one?

I'm confused in this part because my formula sheet says that $$ \bar{dl'} = \bar{e_x} dx + \bar{e_y} dy + \bar{e_z} dz $$

How should I think when using the vector differential displacement in the 3 different cases?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to do three integrals, one for each side of the triangle. This means that you should write three differential displacements. For example, the one along the hypotenuse is ##d \vec{l}_{hyp.}= - \frac{1}{\sqrt{2} }\hat{e}_x dx + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2} }\hat{e}_y dy.## Stick it in the integral and integrate. The unit vectors help keep track of the components. The other two differentials should be easier.

kuruman said:
You have to do three integrals, one for each side of the triangle. This means that you should write three differential displacements. For example, the one along the hypotenuse is ##d \vec{l}_{hyp.}= - \frac{1}{\sqrt{2} }\hat{e}_x dx + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2} }\hat{e}_y dy.## Stick it in the integral and integrate. The unit vectors help keep track of the components. The other two differentials should be easier.

yes thanks, I'm aware of that I should split it up into 3 integrals. Just a bit confused about the "differential displacement vector".

So the differential displacement depends on which direction I integrate(direction the current is going?)? For example "$$ \bar{dl'} = \bar{e_x} dx + \bar{e_y} dy + \bar{e_z} dz $$" is not always like "a constant" in cartesian coordinates, instead it depends on the direction of integration, correct?

and a question about the direction of the current "I", does this decide only in which direction I should integrate or can the current become negative somehow(for examplel -I )?

italy55 said:
So the differential displacement depends on which direction I integrate(direction the current is going?)? For example "
¯dl′=¯exdx+¯eydy+¯ezdz​
\bar{dl'} = \bar{e_x} dx + \bar{e_y} dy + \bar{e_z} dz " is not always like "a constant" in cartesian coordinates, instead it depends on the direction of integration, correct?

and a question about the direction of the current "I", does this decide only in which direction I should integrate or can the current become negative somehow(for examplel -I )?

The two questions you ask are related. Perhaps you will be able to answer them yourself if you consider that the more general expression for the vector potential is
$$\vec{A}(\vec{r}) =\frac {\mu_0}{4 \pi} \int { \frac{\vec{J}(\vec{r}')}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|} dV'} $$
where ##\vec{J}(\vec{r}')## is the current density. In the special case of a current loop ##\vec{J}(\vec{r}')~dV' \rightarrow I d\vec{l}'##.

1. What is vector differential displacement?

Vector differential displacement is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to describe the change in position of a point or particle in a given space. It is represented as a vector, with both magnitude and direction, and is used to calculate the distance and direction of movement of an object.

2. What is the magnetic vector potential?

The magnetic vector potential is a mathematical concept used in electromagnetism to describe the magnetic field around a current-carrying conductor. It is a vector field that represents the potential energy of a magnetic field, and is related to the magnetic field by the curl operator.

3. How is vector differential displacement related to the magnetic vector potential?

The magnetic vector potential is related to the vector differential displacement through the use of the curl operator. The curl of the magnetic vector potential is equal to the vector differential displacement, which allows for the calculation of the magnetic field around a current-carrying conductor.

4. What is the significance of the magnetic vector potential?

The magnetic vector potential is significant because it provides a way to calculate the magnetic field around a current-carrying conductor. It also allows for the calculation of other important properties, such as the magnetic flux and energy, in electromagnetic systems.

5. How is vector differential displacement used in practical applications?

Vector differential displacement is used in many practical applications, such as in engineering and physics, to calculate the movement of objects. It is also used in the study of electromagnetism and other fields to analyze and understand the behavior of particles and systems at a microscopic level.