Vector field vs. four scalar fields ("QFT and the SM", Schwartz)

Hill
Homework Helper
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Four components of the massive spin 1 field
This is the statement in question:
1709641434449.png

But if they were scalar fields, they would not transform at all. How could they contribute differently if they didn't change?

Physics news on Phys.org
In this interpretation you change them by hand, not as a result of vector transformation.

Demystifier said:
In this interpretation you change them by hand, not as a result of vector transformation.
Then, as I understand, they are not "scalar fields", but rather just numbers.

Hill said:
If you have a global coordinate system/frame then you can think of them as scalar fields. But in a different frame there will be a different set of four fields. It is a bit sloppy. Which book is this?

Likes PeterDonis
martinbn said:
If you have a global coordinate system/frame then you can think of them as scalar fields. But in a different frame there will be a different set of four fields. It is a bit sloppy. Which book is this?
"QFT and the SM" by Schwartz.

Hill said:
Yes, you can say it so.

Hill said:
More precisely, a scalar field is a mapping of numbers to points in spacetime. The number assigned to a given point doesn't change when you change coordinates.

The statement you quote in the OP is saying that once you pick a coordinate chart, you can find four scalar fields on spacetime that give the same numbers at each point as the four components of ##A_\mu##. But if you change coordinates, as @martinbn said, you now have to find a different set of four scalar fields on spacetime that give the same numbers at each point as the four components of ##A_\mu##. The usual vector transformation law, on this view, is just a constraint on how the different sets of four scalar fields that you get in different coordinate charts are related.

Likes martinbn
PeterDonis said:
More precisely, a scalar field is a mapping of numbers to points in spacetime. The number assigned to a given point doesn't change when you change coordinates.

The statement you quote in the OP is saying that once you pick a coordinate chart, you can find four scalar fields on spacetime that give the same numbers at each point as the four components of ##A_\mu##. But if you change coordinates, as @martinbn said, you now have to find a different set of four scalar fields on spacetime that give the same numbers at each point as the four components of ##A_\mu##. The usual vector transformation law, on this view, is just a constraint on how the different sets of four scalar fields that you get in different coordinate charts are related.
Thank you. I get this. My point is, that such arrangement contradicts the earlier definition,
1709651022233.png

Hill said:
such arrangement contradicts the earlier definition
No, it doesn't. Read this again, carefully:

PeterDonis said:
if you change coordinates, as @martinbn said, you now have to find a different set of four scalar fields on spacetime

PeterDonis said:
No, it doesn't. Read this again, carefully:
Lorentz transformation changes coordinates and, by the definition, should not affect the scalar fields.
I understand that your emphasis is: the fields in this case do not change but are rather forgotten and replaced. OK, but why to call them "scalar fields" then, and not just "functions of space-time"? I understood that the rest of the definition, i.e. "... that are Lorentz invariant etc.", distinguishes such functions as being "scalar fields".

Hill said:
Lorentz transformation changes coordinates and, by the definition, should not affect the scalar fields.
And it doesn't.

Hill said:
I understand that your emphasis is: the fields in this case do not change but are rather forgotten and replaced.
Yes. Which means the coordinate transformation has not affected any scalar fields, as it shouldn't.

Hill said:
why to call them "scalar fields" then, and not just "functions of space-time"?
Because "scalar fields" is the term that physicists have used for a long time in this context. Yes, it means basically the same thing as "scalar function on spacetime".

Hill said:
I understood that the rest of the definition, i.e. "... that are Lorentz invariant etc.", distinguishes such functions as being "scalar fields".
No. Any scalar function on spacetime, i.e., any mapping of numbers to points in spacetime, has to be Lorentz invariant, by construction: there is simply nothing for a coordinate transformation to change.