Vector Geometry find cross product.

In summary, the cross product of (3u+4w)xw is dependent on the vectors uxv, uxw, and vxw, and can be calculated using the relevant equations i), ii), iii), iv), v), and vi). However, there may be a typo in the given values for uxv, uxw, and vxw, as the cross product should not involve a "v" vector.
Unart

Homework Statement

Calculate the cross product of (3u+4w)xw assuming that
uxv=<1,1,0>, uxw=<0,3,1), vxw<2,-1,-1)

Homework Equations

Possible Relevant eqation:
i) wxv=-vxw
ii)vxv=0
iii)vxw=0 if and only w= λv for scalar λ or v=0
iV)(λv)xw=vx(λw)=λ(vxw)
V) (u+v)xw= uxw+vxw
ux(u+w)=uxv+uxw
vector-projection-formula.png

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have no real attempts, or attempts I feel were viable I feel like I'm doing guess work.
I've tried using equation letter V to some how try to single out one of the vectors using projection formula, but then I realized it was saying (v+w)xU instead of (vxw)xu. But as you can see that is down a wrong path.

I feel like this problem is an inside joke I'm just not getting lol.

How do you isolate each vector, they aren't orthogonal to each other. It's almost like the only thing these three vectors have in common are the parent vectors each play part in two of the product vectors. The also doesn't have ANYTHING like this, so it may be something really basic I'm forgetting as an example.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unart said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Possible Relevant eqation:
i) wxv=-vxw
ii)vxv=0
iii)vxw=0 if and only w= λv for scalar λ or v=0
iV)(λv)xw=vx(λw)=λ(vxw)
V) (u+v)xw= uxw+vxw
ux(u+w)=uxv+uxw
vector-projection-formula.png

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have no real attempts, or attempts I feel were viable I feel like I'm doing guess work.
I've tried using equation letter V to some how try to single out one of the vectors using projection formula, but then I realized it was saying (v+w)xU instead of (vxw)xu. But as you can see that is down a wrong path.

I feel like this problem is an inside joke I'm just not getting lol.

How do you isolate each vector, they aren't orthogonal to each other. It's almost like the only thing these three vectors have in common are the parent vectors each play part in two of the product vectors. The also doesn't have ANYTHING like this, so it may be something really basic I'm forgetting as an example.

Hint: What happens if, before you use any numbers, you apply the highlighted rule directly to your original problem?

Unart said:

Homework Statement

Is there a typo here? The reason I ask is that there is no "v" in the cross product to be evaluated, ##(3\vec u + 4\vec w)\times \vec w##.

D H said:
Is there a typo here? The reason I ask is that there is no "v" in the cross product to be evaluated, ##(3\vec u + 4\vec w)\times \vec w##.

Not a typo, may be a typo on the book but I doubt it. However the book does equate Kilograms with a unit of force in one of it it's problems, so it wouldn't be a surprise. These parameters applies to six different cross-products, I understand how to do half of them. They are the following.

17. VxU which is just <-1,-1,0>, the negative of UxV
18. V x (u+v), or VxU + VxV, which equals to VxU = <-1,-1,0>
19. W x (U+V) which is just (UxW + VxW)*-1 (it's reversed) = <-2,-2,-2>
20. which I showed
21. (u-2v)x(u+2v); I don't know how to do.
22. (v+w)x(3u+2v); I also don't know how to do.

the professor asked for #20 and 21

Unart said:
21. (u-2v)x(u+2v); I don't know how to do.

Are you still talking about the vectors in the original post? What happens if you expand that out before you put in any numbers?

What is a cross product in vector geometry?

A cross product in vector geometry is a mathematical operation that produces a vector which is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is denoted by the symbol "x" and is also known as the vector product.

How do you calculate the cross product of two vectors?

The cross product of two vectors is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix. The first row of the matrix is the unit vectors i, j, and k, the second row is the components of the first vector, and the third row is the components of the second vector. The resulting vector is the cross product.

What is the geometric interpretation of the cross product?

The geometric interpretation of the cross product is that it gives the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors. The direction of the resulting vector is perpendicular to both vectors, and its magnitude is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors multiplied by the sine of the angle between them.

How is the cross product used in real-life applications?

The cross product has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate torque in physics, to determine the direction of induced current in electrical circuits, and to create 3D models in computer graphics.

What is the difference between the dot product and the cross product?

The dot product and the cross product are two different mathematical operations in vector geometry. The dot product results in a scalar quantity, while the cross product results in a vector quantity. The dot product measures the similarity in direction of two vectors, while the cross product measures the perpendicularity of two vectors.