How Does a Line Intersect with Planes in Vector Geometry?

In summary: No, it is a point , common point of the first plane an the line I. P (1,4,-1) is the position vector a of this point, it does not lie in the plane as vector b. But the line I lies in the second plane and so is its direction vector. What is it?In summary, I'm struggling to get part b. I got part a to be (1,4,-1). Just got no clue for b. Pls help
otterandseal1
Homework Statement
I'm struggling to get part b. I got part a to be (1,4,-1). Just got no clue for b. Pls help
Relevant Equations
Dont know what to put here
jgjh.png

Physics news on Phys.org
otterandseal1 said:
Homework Statement:: I'm struggling to get part b. I got part a to be (1,4,-1). Just got no clue for b. Pls help
Relevant Equations:: Dont know what to put here

View attachment 259080
Can you find a normal to ##\pi_1##? You should be able to do this by inspection from its equation. Also, if two vectors are perpendicular, their dot product is 0.

Mark44 said:
Can you find a normal to ##\pi_1##? You should be able to do this by inspection from its equation. Also, if two vectors are perpendicular, their dot product is 0.
Is the normal (2,-1,-3)?

otterandseal1 said:
Is the normal (2,-1,-3)?
Yes.
You can find the normal of the other plane if you know two vectors the plane contains.

ehild said:
Yes.
You can find the normal of the other plane if you know two vectors the plane contains.
is that using r.n = a.n ?

otterandseal1 said:
is that using r.n = a.n ?
If ##\vec a## and ##\vec b## are vectors that lie in the plane you're trying to find the equation of, then ##\vec a \times \vec b## gives you a normal to that plane.

Mark44 said:
If ##\vec a## and ##\vec b## are vectors that lie in the plane you're trying to find the equation of, then ##\vec a \times \vec b## gives you a normal to that plane.
Could you possibly show me the working for the question please?

otterandseal1 said:
Could you possibly show me the working for the question please?
No, can't do that, per the forum rules. See https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/, under Homework Guidelines.

Can you find two vectors in the plane you're trying to find?
If so, can you find their cross product? That will give you a normal to that plane. Once you have the normal, all you need is a single point in the plane, and you can find its equation.

Mark44 said:
No, can't do that, per the forum rules. See https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/, under Homework Guidelines.

Can you find two vectors in the plane you're trying to find?
If so, can you find their cross product? That will give you a normal to that plane. Once you have the normal, all you need is a single point in the plane, and you can find its equation.
Could I use the vector from part a? and the normal of the first plane?

otterandseal1 said:
Could I use the vector from part a? and the normal of the first plane?
What vector do you mean? And, yes. as the two planes are perpendicular the second plane contains the normal of the first plane.

ehild said:
What vector do you mean? And, yes. as the two planes are perpendicular the second plane contains the normal of the first plane.
Where the line meets the first plane

otterandseal1 said:
Where the line meets the first plane
No, it is a point , common point of the first plane an the line I. P (1,4,-1) is the position vector a of this point, it does not lie in the plane as vector b. But the line I lies in the second plane and so is its direction vector. What is it?

1584887090541.png

What are vectors and planes?

Vectors are mathematical objects that have both magnitude and direction, and are often represented as arrows. Planes are flat surfaces that extend infinitely in all directions.

How are vectors and planes related?

Vectors can be used to define planes by specifying a point on the plane and a direction perpendicular to it. This is known as the normal vector of the plane.

What are some common operations involving vectors and planes?

Some common operations involving vectors and planes include finding the angle between two vectors, projecting a vector onto a plane, and finding the intersection of two planes.

How do you determine if a point lies on a plane?

To determine if a point lies on a plane, you can substitute the coordinates of the point into the equation of the plane. If the resulting equation is true, then the point lies on the plane.

What is the equation of a plane in three-dimensional space?

The equation of a plane in three-dimensional space is Ax + By + Cz = D, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the variables x, y, and z, and D is a constant. This equation is known as the standard form of a plane.