Velocity and distance ratio problem

In summary, two wooden blocks with different masses are placed on a rough surface and separated by a firecracker. The smaller block has three times the mass of the larger block and will therefore have three times the velocity. By using Newton's second law and the equation (Vf)^2 = (Vi)^2 + 2a(Xf-Xi), it can be shown that the smaller block will travel nine times farther than the larger block, resulting in a ratio of 1/9. Other methods may also be used to demonstrate this relationship.
JyN
How do u show, without using calculus, that if something initially has 3 times the velocity of another object, how much farther it will travel than the other?

the exact question is: A wooden block is cut into two pieces, one with three times the mass of the other. A depression is made in both faces of the cut, so that a firecracker can be placed init with the block reassembled. the reassembled block is set on a rough-surfaced tabble, and the fuse is lit. When the firecracker explodes, the two blocks separeate and slide apart. What is the ratio of distances each block travels?

I have found that the velocity of the small block will be 3 times that of the other using momentum equations p=mv

So how do i show that the small block will travel 9 times (right?) farther than the other?

Likes Irfan Nafi
Physics news on Phys.org
I think i got it actually. I showed that the 2 blocks will accelerate at the same (negative) rate using Newtons 2nd law, and friction (i ignored the initial acceleration from the impulse of the firecracker). then used the equation (Vf)^2 = (Vi)^2 + 2a(Xf-Xi) and did some subs after having determined the velocity of the smaller block will be three times that of the larger one. And ended with with a ratio of 1/9, large block/small block, after doing some canceling. Does it sound like i did this right? how else would other ppl do it?

Likes Irfan Nafi

Related to Velocity and distance ratio problem

What is the velocity and distance ratio problem?

The velocity and distance ratio problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the relationship between an object's velocity and the distance it travels.

How is the velocity and distance ratio calculated?

The velocity and distance ratio is calculated by dividing the distance an object has traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This is represented by the equation v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time.

What units are used to measure velocity and distance?

Velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h), while distance is measured in meters (m) or kilometers (km).

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the overall velocity of an object over a specific distance and time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time.

How is the velocity and distance ratio problem used in real life?

The velocity and distance ratio problem is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. It can be used to calculate the speed of a car, the distance traveled by a rocket, or the speed of an athlete during a race.