Velocity of an apple before strikes the surface of a white dwarf.

In summary, an apple is dropped from a height of 12.8*10^6 m above the surface of the white dwarf. With what speed does the apple strike the surface of the white dwarf? The apple strikes the surface of the white dwarf at 9.17*10^6 m/s.
ScienceGeek24

Homework Statement

An apple is dropped from a height of 12.8*10^6 m above the surface of the white dwarf. With what speed does the apple strike the surface of the white dwarf?

M of white dwarf= 1.99*10^30
gravity of white dwarf= 3.29*10^6

Homework Equations

Vf^2=Vi^2+2a(deltaX)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried doing this v=srqt( 2(3.29*10^6)(12.8*10^6 ) and my result was far of the real answer i got 9.17*10^6 m/s and the answer sheet showed 5.28 *10^6 m/s.

What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ScienceGeek24 :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
ScienceGeek24 said:
I tried doing this v=srqt( 2(3.29*10^6)(12.8*10^6)

that's only for constant acceleration

a white dwarf is only about the size of the Earth, so 107 m is a long way up

you'll need the radius …

isn't there a relation between the radius and mass of a white dwarf? :smile:

yes a=Gm/r^2 that's how i got the acceleration of the white dwarf

The radius is equal of the Earth's radius which is 6.37*10^2 and the mass was the same the sun which was 1.99*10^30. However, I still don't understand your question.

You'll need to find the gravitational acceleration as a function of distance, and integrate (or use potential energy). :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi ScienceGeek24 :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

ScienceGeek24 said:
yes a=Gm/r^2 that's how i got the acceleration of the white dwarf

The radius is equal of the Earth's radius which is 6.37*10^2 and the mass was the same the sun which was 1.99*10^30. However, I still don't understand your question.

tim's suggestion referred to super-scripts, not the whole post, so your post would look like:
ScienceGeek24 said:
yes a=Gm/r2 that's how i got the acceleration of the white dwarf

The radius is equal of the Earth's radius which is 6.37*102 and the mass was the same the sun which was 1.99*1030. However, I still don't understand your question.
BTW: Earth's radius is significantly greater than 6.37*102m !

The thing is that i don't think this problem should be base with integrals, it has to be an easier way, sqrt(3.27*106)(12.8*106+6.37*106) and still i don't get the right answer.

I mean there has to be another factor that I am not taking into account. I know this problem does not need integrals.

Related to Velocity of an apple before strikes the surface of a white dwarf.

What is the velocity of an apple before it strikes the surface of a white dwarf?

The velocity of an apple before it strikes the surface of a white dwarf would depend on several factors such as the mass of the white dwarf, the distance between the apple and the white dwarf, and the gravitational force acting between them. It would also depend on the initial velocity of the apple before it enters the gravitational field of the white dwarf.

How does the mass of a white dwarf affect the velocity of an apple before it strikes its surface?

The mass of a white dwarf would significantly affect the velocity of an apple before it strikes its surface. This is because the greater the mass of the white dwarf, the stronger its gravitational force would be, causing the apple to accelerate towards it at a faster rate.

What is the distance between an apple and a white dwarf when it strikes its surface?

The distance between an apple and a white dwarf when it strikes its surface would depend on the initial position of the apple and the gravitational force acting between them. The closer the apple is to the white dwarf, the shorter the distance it would have to travel before striking its surface.

Does the velocity of an apple change as it approaches the surface of a white dwarf?

Yes, the velocity of an apple would change as it approaches the surface of a white dwarf. This is because the gravitational force acting on the apple would increase as it gets closer to the white dwarf, causing it to accelerate at a faster rate and thus increasing its velocity.

How does the velocity of an apple compare to the escape velocity of a white dwarf?

The velocity of an apple would need to be equal to or greater than the escape velocity of a white dwarf in order for it to escape the gravitational pull and not strike its surface. The escape velocity of a white dwarf is determined by its mass and size, and it is typically very high, making it difficult for objects like an apple to escape its gravitational pull.