Moving Electrons in a Uniform Magnetic Field

In summary: I'll try to fix it in a later post. In summary, a) We can solve for acceleration by looking at FNETyFNETy = FE (G is negligible)FNETy = m * aThe mass (m) of an electron is 9.1093836 x 10-31 kg.The elementary charge (q) of an electron is -1.60217662 x 10-19 Ca = ε * q / ma = (4.0 x 102 N/C * 1.6022 x 10-19 C) / 9.1094 x 10-31 kg
Jkalirai
Homework Statement
An electron is fired at 4.0 × 10^6 m/s horizontally between the parallel plates, as shown, starting at the negative plate. The electron deflects downwards and strikes the bottom plate. The magnitude of the electric field between the plates is 4.0 × 10^2 N/C. The separation of the plates is 2.0 cm.
a) Find the acceleration of the electron between the plates.
b) Find the horizontal distance traveled by the electron when it hits the plate.
c) Find the velocity of the electron as it strikes the plate.
Relevant Equations
1) m * a = ε * q
2) ∆d = v * ∆t + ½ * a * ∆t^2
3) v[SUB]2[/SUB][SUP]2[/SUP] = v[SUB]1[/SUB][SUP]2[/SUP] + 2 * a * ∆d

a) We can solve for acceleration by looking at FNETy

FNETy = FE (G is negligible)

FNETy = m * a

The mass (m) of an electron is 9.1093836 x 10-31 kg.

The elementary charge (q) of an electron is -1.60217662 x 10-19 C

a = ε * q / m

a = (4.0 x 102 N/C * 1.6022 x 10-19 C) / 9.1094 x 10-31 kg

a = 7.0353 x 1013 m/s2

Our electron is fired south and hits the positive plate.

Therefore, the acceleration of our electron is 7.03 x 1013 m/s2.

b) To find the horizontal distance, we first solve for ∆t

∆dy = v2 * ∆t + ½ * a * ∆t2

We know that our initial vertical velocity is 0 m/s.

(0.02 m) = ½ * 7.0353 x 1013 m/s * ∆t2

∆t2 = 0.02 * 2 / 7.0353 x 1013

∆t = √ 5.6856 x 10-16

∆t = 2.3845 x 10-8 s

Now we solve for ∆dx

Our horizontal acceleration is equal to 0 therefore,

∆dx = v1x * ∆t

∆dx = (4.0 x 106 m/s * 2.3845 x 10-8 s)

∆dx = 0.09538 m

Therefore, our horizontal distance is equal to 0.096 m [E].

c) To find v2 we use the corresponding equation,

v2y2 = v1y2 + 2 * a * ∆dy (v1y = 0 m/s)

v2y2 = 2 * (7.0353 x 1013 m/s2) * (0.02)

v2y = √ (2.81412 x 1012)

v2y = 1.6775 x 106 m/s

Therefore, the velocity that the electron strikes the plate at is 1.6775 x 106 m/s.

I am not sure if my answer for part c) is correct or not. I've seen other people with older threads get answers close to 4.3 x 106 but it didn't make sense to me because they used the initial velocity of x in place of the initial velocity of y, whereas I stated that my initial velocity of y is equal to 0.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Likes Merlin3189
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks very good (but I did not get out my calculator to check the arithmetic).

However, part (C) asks you to find the velocity of the electron as it strikes the positive plate. You found the vertical component of the velocity. Is there also a horizontal component?

Likes Jkalirai
Hello Jkalirai, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad##!

A few house rules to begin with:
Don't write " 4.0 × 106 m/s ". Please use the button superscript ( under
) or use ##\LaTeX## : ##4.0 \times 10^6 ## m/s .(I notice you did use the subscript button for " 3) v2^2 = v1^2 + 2 * a * ∆d "but they don't get rendered !? Strange ... Then: have pity on helpers "as shown " suggests there exists a sketch or a drawing -- post it. And "35. Let south and east be positive. " doesn't help if south and east don't occur anywhere (*) . (Even though I do know what you mean - telepathy ?)

(*) well, 'is fired south' does occur - but I think you mean east...And finally, but most importantly:

1) check your math for your third relevant equation

v2y = √ (2.81412 x 10^12) so ##v_{2,y}>10^6## m/s where you write

v2y = 3.14389 x 10^5 m/s

2) as Tsny helped you with that already, I don't have to ask what you do with the original 4e6 m/s :wink:

Likes TSny
TSny said:
Your work looks very good (but I did not get out my calculator to check the arithmetic).

However, part (C) asks you to find the velocity of the electron as it strikes the positive plate. You found the vertical component of the velocity. Is there also a horizontal component?
Huh, you know... I actually sat down for like 20-30 minutes and really wondered why I didn't even consider a horizontal portion. I worked through the problem again, I knew that horizontal acceleration was 0, meaning that the initial velocity is the same as the final velocity. After that, it's just a matter of putting the pieces together where v2 = √ (vx2 + vy2). Well anyways... after working through it I got a similar answer to what every other thread seems to be saying. Seems like a silly mistake to make but thanks for the heads up.

BvU said:
Hello Jkalirai, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad##!

A few house rules to begin with:
Don't write " 4.0 × 106 m/s ". Please use the button superscript ( under View attachment 245979 ) or use ##\LaTeX## : ##4.0 \times 10^6 ## m/s .(I notice you did use the subscript button for " 3) v2^2 = v1^2 + 2 * a * ∆d "but they don't get rendered !? Strange ...Then: have pity on helpers "as shown " suggests there exists a sketch or a drawing -- post it. And "35. Let south and east be positive. " doesn't help if south and east don't occur anywhere (*) . (Even though I do know what you mean - telepathy ?)

(*) well, 'is fired south' does occur - but I think you mean east...And finally, but most importantly:

1) check your math for your third relevant equation

v2y = √ (2.81412 x 10^12) so ##v_{2,y}>10^6## m/s where you write

v2y = 3.14389 x 10^5 m/s

2) as Tsny helped you with that already, I don't have to ask what you do with the original 4e6 m/s :wink:
Thanks for the tips, though I can't quite fix the subscripts and superscripts in the "Relevant Questions" tab. Not sure what's going on there.

1. How do electrons move in a uniform magnetic field?

Electrons move in a circular path in a uniform magnetic field, with the magnetic field lines perpendicular to the plane of their motion. The direction of the electron's motion is determined by the right-hand rule, where the thumb points in the direction of the electron's velocity and the curled fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field.

2. What is the force on an electron moving in a uniform magnetic field?

The force on an electron moving in a uniform magnetic field is perpendicular to both the velocity of the electron and the magnetic field. The magnitude of the force is given by the equation F = qvB, where q is the charge of the electron, v is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field strength.

3. How does the speed of an electron affect its motion in a uniform magnetic field?

The speed of an electron does not affect its motion in a uniform magnetic field. The force on the electron is only dependent on its charge, velocity, and the magnetic field strength, and not on its speed. Therefore, an electron with a higher speed will have a larger radius of motion, but will still follow a circular path.

4. What is the relationship between the radius of an electron's motion and the strength of the magnetic field?

The radius of an electron's motion in a uniform magnetic field is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that as the magnetic field strength increases, the radius of the electron's motion also increases. This relationship is described by the equation r = mv/qB, where r is the radius, m is the mass of the electron, v is its velocity, q is its charge, and B is the magnetic field strength.

5. How is the motion of an electron in a uniform magnetic field affected by the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the magnetic field does not affect the motion of an electron in a uniform magnetic field. As long as the magnetic field remains perpendicular to the electron's velocity, it will continue to move in a circular path. If the direction of the magnetic field changes, the radius of the electron's motion will also change, but the direction of its motion will remain the same.