Velocity of pions after moving far away from each other?

In summary: The gamma is a measure of how the particles react to each other. It is a function of the distance between the particles.
physicslove22

Homework Statement

A proton and an antiproton, each with an initial speed of 5.90
multiply.gif
107 m/s when they are far apart. When these two particles collide, they react to form two new particles: a positive pion (π+, charge +e) and a negative pion (π−, charge −e). Each pion has a rest mass of 2.5
multiply.gif
10-28 kg. These pions have enough energy that they move away from each other. When these two pions have moved very far away from each other, how fast is each pion going, v?

Homework Equations

E of system = kinetic + rest + potential energies
kinetic = 1/2mv^2
rest= mc^2
electric potential = (9x10^9)(q1 * q2)/radius

The Attempt at a Solution

Esys1 = Esys3
(2) (1/2) (1.7x10^-27) (5.9x10^7)^2 + (2) (1.7x10^-27) (3x10^8)^2 = (2) (1/2) (2.5x10^-28)(v final)^2 + (2) (2.5x10^-28) (3x10^8)^2
v = 1.03328 x 10^9
This answer turned out to be wrong! Can anyone see where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the magnitudes of the terms in your equation. The rest masses dominate. So when you take the difference in the rest masses you get a relatively small difference between two large numbers. That can turn a small numerical error into a much more significant one.
I would try using a more accurate value for c.
(What is the supposed answer?)

I don't know what the answer is, but I know it is supposed to be close to the speed of light... I tried plugging in 2.99792x10^8, and now my answer is 1.03258x10^9. Do you think this is correct? I only have one submission left!

physicslove22 said:
I don't know what the answer is, but I know it is supposed to be close to the speed of light... I tried plugging in 2.99792x10^8, and now my answer is 1.03258x10^9. Do you think this is correct? I only have one submission left!
With such great speeds, you should be using the generic relativistic mass, not adding rest mass to Newtonian KE, maybe? But that would yield a slightly smaller number.

Oh I forgot about that! I now have v = 2.99792x10^8! Do you think it's right?

physicslove22 said:
Oh I forgot about that! I now have v = 2.99792x10^8! Do you think it's right?
Still seems too close to c. Please post your working.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/79662

Rather a lot of arithmetic operations doing it that way. Do it all algebraically until the final step. You should get ##c^2-v_2^2 = (c^2-v_1^2)(\frac {m_2}{m_1})^2##, which gives me about 2.967E8.

Oh ok! That certainly makes it simpler. Thank you!

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get to that point? I tried it algebraically and got v = c at the end.

physicslove22 said:
If you don't mind me asking, how did you get to that point? I tried it algebraically and got v = c at the end.
Post your algebra and I'll check it.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/79663

Two different gammas?

Ohhhhh... :mad:

1. What is the velocity of pions after they have moved far away from each other?

The velocity of pions after they have moved far away from each other can vary, as it is dependent on the initial velocity and the forces acting on the pions. However, in a vacuum, pions will continue to move at a constant velocity until acted upon by an outside force.

2. How does the velocity of pions change as they move farther apart?

As pions move farther apart, their velocities will remain constant if there are no external forces acting on them. However, if there are forces such as gravity or electromagnetic forces present, the velocities of the pions will change due to these forces.

3. Can the velocity of pions be measured accurately after they have moved far away from each other?

It is difficult to measure the exact velocity of pions after they have moved far away from each other, as there are often many external factors that can affect their velocities. However, with precise instruments and careful measurements, it is possible to estimate their velocities with a certain degree of accuracy.

4. How does the velocity of pions affect their energy levels?

The velocity of pions is directly related to their energy levels. As pions move faster, their kinetic energy increases, which can result in higher energy levels. This is especially important in high-energy physics experiments, where the velocity of pions is a crucial factor in determining their behavior and interactions.

5. Can the velocity of pions be manipulated or controlled?

The velocity of pions can be manipulated and controlled to a certain extent using external forces such as electric or magnetic fields. However, these manipulations are limited and can only be achieved within specific parameters. In general, the velocity of pions is difficult to control due to their high energies and interactions with other particles.