Final velocity of proton after being repelled?

In summary, the final velocity of a proton released from rest at the center of a uniformly charged hoop and given a slight push in one direction, assuming it follows the axis of the hoop, can be found by using the equation U = qV, where V is the potential (potential energy per Coulomb) and V = kQ/√(x2 + a2), with x being the distance from the hoop. The final velocity is calculated to be 415,277 m/s.
Brennen berkley

Homework Statement

What will be the final velocity of a proton (when it is very far away) if it it released from rest at the center of a uniformly charged hoop and given a slight push in one direction. assume it follows the axis of the hoop.
mass of proton: m = 1.67x10-27 kg
charge of proton: q = 1.6x10-19 C
radius of hoop: R = 1 cm
charge of hoop: Q = 1 nC

Homework Equations

λ = Q/2πR
k = 9 x 109
E = kλx2πR/(x2+R2)3/2
F = Eq

The Attempt at a Solution

λ = 9x10-9 / 2π(.01)
= 1.59 x 10-8 C/m

I know that the force and acceleration will vary with the distance from the hoop x, but I don't know how to find the final velocity. I was thinking maybe you have to find the potential energy of the proton before it starts moving and then use that as its final kinetic energy to find velocity? I don't know how to find electrical potential energy though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
Energy is definitely the best approach. Can you find the electric potential V at the center of the ring due to the charge on the hoop?

Last edited:
Looking through my book I found the energy equation U = qE, and using that I found the energy to be 1.503 x 10-20, and I got 4242 m/s for the velocity. does that sound about right?

Brennen berkley said:
Looking through my book I found the energy equation U = qE

Did you mistype this? U is not equal to qE. Instead, F = qE. Check your book again for the correct formula for U.

U_equation.png

maybe I'm reading the equation wrong, but there it is.

Note that equation (23.5) reads U = qEy which is different from U = qE.

Equation (23.5) is only valid for a uniform electric field. In the hoop problem, E is not uniform. You should have studied a basic equation that relates the potential energy U to the electric potential V.

Likes Brennen berkley
Thanks for clarifying. In class we have only covered the material through chapter 21, and all the electric potential stuff is in 23, so I haven't read about it very in-depth yet. I'm not sure why it's on our homework. Anyway, I think I understand what I need to do now. Potential Energy U = qV where V is potential (potential energy per Coulomb) and V = kQ/√(x2 + a2) where x is the distance from the hoop (0 in this case).

Using the new equation I got 1.44 x 10-16 W for the energy and 415,277 m/s for the velocity.

Yes, I believe that's the correct answer. (I'll let you think about significant figures.) It is strange that you were expected to work this problem based on what you've covered in class. Good work!

Likes Brennen berkley
Chapter 23 has a similar problem: #34.

1. What is the formula for calculating the final velocity of a proton after being repelled?

The formula for calculating the final velocity of a proton after being repelled is Vf = Vi + (qE/m)t, where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, q is the charge of the proton, E is the electric field strength, m is the mass of the proton, and t is the time it was repelled for.

2. How does the initial velocity of the proton affect its final velocity after being repelled?

The initial velocity of the proton affects its final velocity after being repelled because it is a component in the formula for calculating the final velocity. A higher initial velocity will result in a higher final velocity, assuming all other variables remain constant.

3. What factors can influence the repulsion of a proton and therefore its final velocity?

Several factors can influence the repulsion of a proton and its final velocity, including the strength of the electric field, the charge of the proton, the mass of the proton, and the distance between the proton and the source of the electric field.

4. How does the charge of the proton affect its final velocity after being repelled?

The charge of the proton directly affects its final velocity after being repelled. A higher charge will result in a greater repulsion force, leading to a higher final velocity.

5. Can the final velocity of a proton after being repelled ever be greater than the speed of light?

No, the final velocity of a proton after being repelled cannot be greater than the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum, including particles like protons.