Two electrons repel each other and gain velocity

In summary: E_k=2\cdot \left(\frac{1}{2}\cdot 9.11\cdot 10^{-31}\cdot V^2\right)\rightarrow V=693[m/s]$$Which is the correct answer. So, in summary, two electrons held at rest 0.05[cm] apart will have a relative velocity of 693[m/s] when they are 1[cm] apart. This is due to the gained kinetic energy being split between the two electrons, and is a result of conservation of momentum.
Karol

Homework Statement

Two electrons are held at rest 0.05[cm] apart. what is their relative velocity when they are 1[cm] apart.

Homework Equations

The potential V from a point charge: ##V=K\frac{q}{r}##
The constant ##K=9\cdot 10^9##
The work done to move from one point in the field to another: ##W=V\cdot q##
The electron charge: ##e=1.6\cdot 10^{-19}[Coulomb]##
The electron mass: ##m_e=9.11\cdot 10^{-31}[Kg]##

The Attempt at a Solution

The axes are attached to one of the electrons. the potential difference between the end and the beginning:
$$\Delta V=9\cdot 10^9\cdot 1.6\cdot 10^{-19}\cdot \left(\frac{1}{0.0005}-\frac{1}{0.01}\right)=2.7\cdot 10^{-6}$$
The work is the gained kinetic energy:
$$W=E_k=2.7\cdot 10^{-6}\cdot 1.6\cdot 10^{-19}=4.378\cdot 10^{-25}=\frac{1}{2}\cdot 9.11\cdot 10^{-31}\cdot V^2\rightarrow V=0.0023[m/s]$$
It should be 982[m/s]

Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:
The work is the gained kinetic energy:
$$W=E_k=2.7\cdot 10^{-6}\cdot 1.6\cdot 10^{-19}=4.378\cdot 10^{-25}=\frac{1}{2}\cdot 9.11\cdot 10^{-31}\cdot V^2\rightarrow V=0.0023[m/s]$$
Redo that last bit of arithmetic. Also realize that the KE is shared by both electrons.

It comes out V=980, it's good. i sit on one of the electrons and watch the other, the frame is attached to one electron so only the second moves, so KE is only of one electron. i know both move at the same speed but from the point of view of one of them only the other moves, so i guess V=980 is the answer and my way is good, no?

Karol said:
i sit on one of the electrons and watch the other, the frame is attached to one electron so only the second moves, so KE is only of one electron.
Realize that if you try to use the final frame of one of the electrons that the initial speeds are not zero. Don't do that. Stick to the original inertial frame in which the electrons were at rest.

Karol said:
i know both move at the same speed but from the point of view of one of them only the other moves, so i guess V=980 is the answer and my way is good, no?
Again I suggest finding the speed of each electron in the original frame by finding the KE of each electron. Then compute the relative speed.

Doc Al said:
Realize that if you try to use the final frame of one of the electrons that the initial speeds are not zero. Don't do that. Stick to the original inertial frame in which the electrons were at rest.
The electron is in rest also in the non inertial frame since the electrons are at rest in the beginning.
Doc Al said:
I suggest finding the speed of each electron in the original frame by finding the KE of each electron.
I don't know how to do that. i think i made it in my calculation, which gave V=980. if so then each one moves at that speed and the relative speed is double, but the book says only 982.

Karol said:
The electron is in rest also in the non inertial frame since the electrons are at rest in the beginning.
You cannot use an accelerating frame. Stick to one inertial frame. (Which is what you did anyway, despite what you think you did.)

Karol said:
I don't know how to do that. i think i made it in my calculation, which gave V=980.
You found the total KE (in the original frame) and attributed that total energy to one of the electrons. Instead, split it up between the two.

Karol said:
if so then each one moves at that speed and the relative speed is double, but the book says only 982.
When you find the correct electron speed, you'll get the correct relative velocity.

Because of symmetry:
$$W=E_k=4.378\cdot 10^{-25}=2\cdot \left(\frac{1}{2}\cdot 9.11\cdot 10^{-31}\cdot V^2\right)\rightarrow V=693[m/s]$$
Too high

Karol said:
Because of symmetry:
$$W=E_k=4.378\cdot 10^{-25}=2\cdot \left(\frac{1}{2}\cdot 9.11\cdot 10^{-31}\cdot V^2\right)\rightarrow V=693[m/s]$$
Too high
I agree with that calculation. So, unless we both made the same arithmetic error, your book is wrong.

Is this a textbook problem? Or a problem created by your instructor?

An old textbook of 30 years, it's Sears Zemansky translated. i have much appreciation to it, the pages are brown.
If the charges weren't equal in mass and charge, i guess energy itself wouldn't suffice, right?

Karol said:
An old textbook of 30 years, it's Sears Zemansky translated. i have much appreciation to it, the pages are brown.
Ah yes, a classic text. The current version taken over by Young and Freedman.

Karol said:
If the charges weren't equal in mass and charge, i guess energy itself wouldn't suffice, right?
If the masses were not equal, you'd have to invoke conservation of momentum to see how the energy divides between the two particles. Here conservation of momentum is trivial.

Thanks

1. What is the principle behind two electrons repelling each other?

The principle behind two electrons repelling each other is based on the fundamental principle of like charges repelling each other. Since both electrons have negative charges, they will experience a repulsive force when they come into close proximity with each other.

2. How do two electrons gain velocity when they repel each other?

When two electrons repel each other, they will experience a repulsive force that causes them to accelerate away from each other. This acceleration results in an increase in their velocity, as described by Newton's second law of motion (F=ma).

3. Can two electrons repel each other with equal force in all directions?

Yes, two electrons can repel each other with equal force in all directions. This is because the repulsive force between two charges is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of the force will always be away from the other electron, regardless of the direction in which the electrons are moving.

4. Will two electrons always repel each other, or can they attract under certain conditions?

In most cases, two electrons will always repel each other due to their like charges. However, there are certain conditions, such as in the presence of a third charged particle, where two electrons can experience an attractive force due to the influence of the third particle.

5. How does the distance between two electrons affect their repulsive force and velocity?

The repulsive force between two electrons is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the electrons decreases, the repulsive force increases, resulting in a greater acceleration and increase in velocity. Conversely, as the distance between the electrons increases, the repulsive force decreases, resulting in a decrease in velocity.