Spivak & Dimension of Manifold

So this contradicts the invariance of domain" should be "So this contradicts the invariance of domain since the invariance of domain states that a continuous bijection between two open sets in ##\mathbb{R}^n## and ##\mathbb{R}^m##, respectively, must have the same dimension, which is not the case here."In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of a question in Spivak's Differential Geometry regarding manifolds and neighborhoods. The question asks to show that if a point on a manifold has a neighborhood homeomorphic to a certain dimension, then any other neighborhood of the same point must also be homeomorphic to the same dimension. The person
NihilTico

1. Homework Statement

I'm taking a swing at Spivak's Differential Geometry, and a question that Spivak asks his reader to show is that if ##x\in M## for ##M## a manifold and there is a neighborhood (Note that Spivak requires neighborhoods to be sets which contain an open set containing the point of interest) of ##x## such that this neighborhood is homeomorphic to ##\mathbb{R}^n##, then this ##n## is fixed for any other such neighborhood of ##x##.

If I could prove this, then I could prove his other assertion that if ##U\subseteq M## is a neighborhood of some ##x\in M##, and is homeomorphic to ##\mathbb{R}^n## (for any ##n##), then ##U## must be open; via the Invariance of Domain, the proof follows almost immediately from what I'm proving here.
2. The attempt at a solution

I'm a little far removed from topology so I'm not entirely confident in my proof. In particular, when I tried to find some sort of verification online, I found this which doesn't look anything like my argument.

I more or less mimic my proof that ##\mathbb{R}^n## is not homeomorphic to ##\mathbb{R}^m## if ##n\ne m## by the invariance of domain in my proof:Spivak has shown that one can choose, for any neighborhood ##U## of ##x\in M##, a subset ##V\subseteq U## such that ##V## is open with respect to the topology of ##M## and homeomorphic to the same ##\mathbb{R}^n## as ##U##. This is straight-forward.

So if I let ##x\in M##, and ##N_1##, ##N_2## be two neighborhoods of ##x## homeomorphic, respectively, to ##\mathbb{R}^n## and ##\mathbb{R}^m##. Let's denote by ##f\colon N_1\to\mathbb{R}^n## and ##g\colon N_{2}\to\mathbb{R}^m## the homeomorphisms. WLOG we can assume ##n<m##, attempting to obtain a contradiction.

I can widdle ##N_1## and ##N_2## down into subsets ##V_1## and ##V_2## open in ##M## as I noted above. Let ##V=V_1\cap V_2##. Then, of course, ##V\subseteq N_{1}## and ##V\subseteq N_2##; moreover ##V## is still open in ##M##. Since ##g## and ##f## are homeomorphisms, the image of ##V## is open in ##\mathbb{R}^n## under ##f## and the image of ##V## under ##g## is open in ##\mathbb{R}^m##. Denote by ##\pi## the embedding of ##\mathbb{R}^n## into ##\mathbb{R}^m##. Then the map ##h:=\pi\circ f\circ g^{-1}## passes ##g(V)## to ##f(V)\subseteq\mathbb{R}^n## viewed as a subset of ##\mathbb{R}^m##. But in the metric topology of ##\mathbb{R}^m## (where, again, ##n<m##), any subset of ##\mathbb{R}^n## is closed. So this contradicts the invariance of domain, since ##h## defines a continuous injection of an open subset of ##\mathbb{R}^m## into ##\mathbb{R}^m##.

Does this look alright? Any pointers?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NihilTico said:

Homework Statement

I'm taking a swing at Spivak's Differential Geometry, and a question that Spivak asks his reader to show is that if ##x\in M## for ##M## a manifold and there is a neighborhood (Note that Spivak requires neighborhoods to be sets which contain an open set containing the point of interest) of ##x## such that this neighborhood is homeomorphic to ##\mathbb{R}^n##, then this ##n## is fixed for any other such neighborhood of ##x##.

If I could prove this, then I could prove his other assertion that if ##U\subseteq M## is a neighborhood of some ##x\in M##, and is homeomorphic to ##\mathbb{R}^n## (for any ##n##), then ##U## must be open; via the Invariance of Domain, the proof follows almost immediately from what I'm proving here.
2. The attempt at a solution

I'm a little far removed from topology so I'm not entirely confident in my proof. In particular, when I tried to find some sort of verification online, I found this which doesn't look anything like my argument.

I more or less mimic my proof that ##\mathbb{R}^n## is not homeomorphic to ##\mathbb{R}^m## if ##n\ne m## by the invariance of domain in my proof:Spivak has shown that one can choose, for any neighborhood ##U## of ##x\in M##, a subset ##V\subseteq U## such that ##V## is open with respect to the topology of ##M## and homeomorphic to the same ##\mathbb{R}^n## as ##U##. This is straight-forward.

So if I let ##x\in M##, and ##N_1##, ##N_2## be two neighborhoods of ##x## homeomorphic, respectively, to ##\mathbb{R}^n## and ##\mathbb{R}^m##. Let's denote by ##f\colon N_1\to\mathbb{R}^n## and ##g\colon N_{2}\to\mathbb{R}^m## the homeomorphisms. WLOG we can assume ##n<m##, attempting to obtain a contradiction.

I can widdle ##N_1## and ##N_2## down into subsets ##V_1## and ##V_2## open in ##M## as I noted above. Let ##V=V_1\cap V_2##. Then, of course, ##V\subseteq N_{1}## and ##V\subseteq N_2##; moreover ##V## is still open in ##M##. Since ##g## and ##f## are homeomorphisms, the image of ##V## is open in ##\mathbb{R}^n## under ##f## and the image of ##V## under ##g## is open in ##\mathbb{R}^m##. Denote by ##\pi## the embedding of ##\mathbb{R}^n## into ##\mathbb{R}^m##. Then the map ##h:=\pi\circ f\circ g^{-1}## passes ##g(V)## to ##f(V)\subseteq\mathbb{R}^n## viewed as a subset of ##\mathbb{R}^m##. But in the metric topology of ##\mathbb{R}^m## (where, again, ##n<m##), any subset of ##\mathbb{R}^n## is closed. So this contradicts the invariance of domain, since ##h## defines a continuous injection of an open subset of ##\mathbb{R}^m## into ##\mathbb{R}^m##.

Does this look alright? Any pointers?
(color added)
I don't know where the statement I colored in red comes from. I think it is wrong.
Remove it, and your proof looks correct, as ##f(V) \subseteq\mathbb R^n## and ##g(V) \subseteq \mathbb R^m## would be homeomorphic non-empty open sets, and that is not possible if
##m \neq n##.

Likes NihilTico
Samy_A said:
I don't know where the statement I colored in red comes from. I think it is wrong.
By "subset of ##\mathbb R^n##", I assume that he means "subset of ##\{x\in\mathbb R^m|x_{n+1}=x_{n+2}=\cdots =x_m=0\}##". This set is closed because the limit of a convergent sequence in that set is in that set.

Fredrik said:
By "subset of ##\mathbb R^n##", I assume that he means "subset of ##\{x\in\mathbb R^m|x_{n+1}=x_{n+2}=\cdots =x_m=0\}##". This set is closed because the limit of a convergent sequence in that set is in that set.

In that interpretation, it's not wrong that ##\mathbb{R}^n## is closed in ##\mathbb{R}^m##. But it is definitely not true in that interpretation that any subset of ##\mathbb{R}^n## is closed in ##\mathbb{R}^m##.

Likes NihilTico
Fredrik said:
micromass said:
In that interpretation, it's not wrong that ##\mathbb{R}^n## is closed in ##\mathbb{R}^m##. But it is definitely not true in that interpretation that any subset of ##\mathbb{R}^n## is closed in ##\mathbb{R}^m##.
Thought so too.
If by "any subset" he meant "any closed subset" (in the ##\mathbb R^n## topology), then I agree.

Anyway, it is a red herring, as he doesn't really use the statement.

micromass said:
Ah, of course. Didn't really think about that part. Thanks.

Hey all, thanks for the replies and comments and I apologize for getting back a little late.

Not really sure why I threw that statement in there, there are plenty of counter-examples.

I appreciate the help, thanks!

1. What is Spivak and Dimension of Manifold?

Spivak and Dimension of Manifold is a mathematical concept that explores the properties of manifolds, which are mathematical objects that are locally similar to Euclidean space. It was developed by Michael Spivak in the 1960s and has since been used in various fields of mathematics and physics.

2. What is the importance of understanding Spivak and Dimension of Manifold?

Understanding Spivak and Dimension of Manifold is important because it allows for a deeper understanding of geometric structures and their properties. It also has practical applications in fields like physics, where manifolds are used to describe the curvature of space-time in general relativity.

3. What is the difference between a manifold and a Euclidean space?

A Euclidean space is a type of manifold, but not all manifolds are Euclidean spaces. A manifold is a topological space that is locally Euclidean, meaning that it is similar to a Euclidean space in small regions. However, the entire manifold may have a different overall shape or structure.

4. How is the dimension of a manifold determined?

The dimension of a manifold is determined by the number of coordinates needed to specify a point on the manifold. For example, a one-dimensional manifold, such as a circle, can be described using one coordinate (angle), while a two-dimensional manifold, such as a sphere, requires two coordinates (latitude and longitude).

5. Can Spivak and Dimension of Manifold be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, Spivak and Dimension of Manifold can be applied to real-world problems in fields like physics, engineering, and computer science. It has practical applications in areas such as computer graphics, robotics, and data analysis.