Verify Probability & Expected Score for 2 Quick Problems

• Thread starter johnstamos
  • Start date
In summary, for the first question, the probability of no errors occurring after N characters are transmitted can be calculated using the Poisson distribution. For the second question, the expected total score can be calculated using the geometric distribution.
johnstamos
Hey guys, having a bit of trouble and can't find anyone to double check my work:

Mean failure rate of a communication is 1 error per 10 000 000 characters transmitted.
If an error occurs, there is a probability p that it will be discovered and corrected. What is the probability no errors occur after N characters are transmitted.

Rate= N/10 000 000*(1-p)?

So the chance that an error occurs multiplied by the probability that it is not corrected.

I'm unsure of how exactly my rate would change.

P(X=0) = Poissoin(X=0,Rate as stated above). This problem seems simple enough, but again, the rate is messing me up here.Second question: X~GEO(1/5). The game ends when a success occurs. When the success occurs, the user wins 100. Every other time he loses 20. What is the expected total score.

I assume it's Y=120-20X. So E(Y) = 120-100=20. I've seriously had a tonne of people give me varying answers and that's probably why I'm so confused.

Could anyone verify these things quickly? I've done most of the legwork so hopefully this doesn't come off as a pathetic attempt for you to do my homework.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
,For the first question, the rate would be N*(1-p)/10 000 000. So the probability that no errors occur after N characters are transmitted would be Poisson(X=0, Rate=N*(1-p)/10 000 000).For the second question, your calculations are correct. Your expected total score is 20.

1. What is probability?

Probability refers to the measure of likelihood or chance that a specific event will occur. It is typically expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates that the event is impossible and 1 indicates that the event is certain to occur.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability can be calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if a coin is flipped and there are two possible outcomes (heads or tails), the probability of getting heads is 1/2 or 0.5.

3. What is expected score?

Expected score is the average value that is expected to be obtained from a series of trials or experiments. It is calculated by multiplying the probability of each possible outcome by its corresponding payoff, and then summing these values together.

4. How is expected score used in decision-making?

Expected score is often used in decision-making to determine the best course of action. It allows individuals to weigh the potential outcomes of a decision and choose the option with the highest expected score, which is the most desirable outcome.

5. What are some real-world applications of probability and expected score?

Probability and expected score are widely used in many different fields, including finance, insurance, and gaming. They are also used in scientific research and experiments, as well as in everyday decision-making and risk assessment.