Verify the depth and size of existing caissons

• Thread starter miloziz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Depth
In summary, to verify the depth and size of existing caissons (assumed 100' deep) under 6 feet of concrete slab, one can drill through the cap and use a laser system such as the one mentioned. Other options include low frequency acoustics or finding the original drawings. The caissons are likely constructed of wooden or steel cribs and may have been backfilled.
miloziz
How can I verify the depth and size of existing caissons(assumed 100' deep) under 6 feet of concrete slab

Engineering news on Phys.org
Drill through the cap and use something like this http://www.mdl.co.uk/laser_systems/cavity-autoscanning-laser-system-c-als-/index.html
(Disclaimer - I build them!)

Last edited by a moderator:
mgb_phys said:
Drill through the cap and use something like this http://www.mdl.co.uk/laser_systems/cavity-autoscanning-laser-system-c-als-/index.html
(Disclaimer - I build them!)

Very cool machines, mgb! :approve:

Last edited by a moderator:
mgb_phys said:
Drill through the cap . . .
That's pretty much it - either bore through it, or excavate or bore through the ground beside it.

One could possibly use low frequency acoustics - le.g. seismic analysis - used in the oil industry for well-logging and characterization of subsurface strata.

GPR doesn't penetrate far enough for 100'.

Can one find the original drawings?

Are the caissons constructed of wooden or steel cribs under the concrete cap? Were the caissons backfilled?

berkeman said:
Very cool machines, mgb! :approve:

Thanks - it's a clever application of a very simple idea.
Hope nobody minds the advertising! (I only work for the company - I don't own it.)

100' is a long way down plus the 6' of concrete slab on top of it (that is one seriously thick pour!). I agree with Astronuc that the acoustic route may be your only bet short of finding the original drawings or pulling one out of the ground.

thanks

Related to Verify the depth and size of existing caissons

1. What is the purpose of verifying the depth and size of existing caissons?

The purpose of verifying the depth and size of existing caissons is to ensure the structural integrity and stability of the caisson foundation. It is important to accurately determine the depth and size of the caissons to support the weight of the structure and withstand external forces such as wind and water pressure.

2. How is the depth of existing caissons verified?

The depth of existing caissons can be verified through various methods such as visual inspection, sonic echo testing, and geotechnical investigations. Visual inspection involves physically examining the caisson for any visible signs of damage or displacement. Sonic echo testing uses sound waves to determine the depth of the caisson based on the time it takes for the sound to travel through the caisson and back. Geotechnical investigations involve taking soil samples around the caisson to determine its depth.

3. What factors can affect the size of existing caissons?

The size of existing caissons can be affected by various factors such as the load-bearing capacity of the soil, the weight of the structure, and the surrounding environment. These factors can cause settlement or movement of the caissons, which may require adjustments to the size of the caissons for stability.

4. What are the consequences of not verifying the depth and size of existing caissons?

Not verifying the depth and size of existing caissons can have serious consequences for the stability and safety of the structure. If the caissons are not deep enough or are not the appropriate size, the structure may experience settlement, uneven weight distribution, or even collapse. This can lead to costly repairs, delays in construction, and potential hazards for occupants of the structure.

5. How often should the depth and size of existing caissons be verified?

The frequency of verifying the depth and size of existing caissons depends on various factors such as the age of the structure, the surrounding environment, and any potential changes or additions to the structure. It is recommended to have a professional inspection every 5-10 years to ensure the caissons are still suitable for the structure's needs.