Verify unsolvable ODE on Midterm

In summary, the professor was replaced on the day of the midterm and the replacement professor announced that there might be a problem with question 1. Can someone take a look at it?
gr3g1
Long story short,

Professor was replaced with a replacement professor on the day of the midterm.
The replacement prof. announces, after 3/4 of the time allowed has passed that the first question might contain a typo. He doesn't suggest how to fix the problem or anything. He just claims there might be a problem with the first question.

Can someone take a look at it?
This is for Ordinary Differential Equations I

Here is the first question:

Solve the initial value problem:
y' ' ' + y' ' + 4y' + 4 = 0 y (0) = 5; y' (0)=7; y' ' (0)= -5;

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is any typo, it seems easily solvable to me; just use the method of undetermined coefficients, you have a fairly simple 3rd degree inhomogeneous ODE.

y' ' ' + y' ' + 4y' + 4 = 0
would be come
y' ' ' + y' ' + 4y' = -4

m^3 + m^2 + 4m = 0
m(m^2 + m + 4) = 0

m1 = 0 and m2 = a complex root

is that right?

That looks like a good start for your complimentary solution.What form does that portion of your solution take?

Hmm...

e^a(c1cos(bx)+c2sin(bx))

That's part of it, what are the values of 'a' and 'b', and what happened to your m1=0 root?

a would be -1/2 and b sqrt(15)/2

We have never seen the case were m1 and m2 are real and complex.. Where would I go from here?

a real root m1 just adds an c3*e^(m1 x) term, in this case m1=0 and e^0=1, so it adds a constant term and your complimentary solution is:

[tex]y_c(x)=e^{\frac{-x}{2}} \left( c_1 cos \left( \frac{\sqrt{15}}{2} x \right)+c_2 sin \left(\frac{\sqrt{15}}{2} x \right) \right) +c_3[/tex]

Do you follow?

Yes, I follow... Where would I go from here?

Now you need to find a particular solution...Your inhomogeneous term is just '-4'. Suppose you had only a second order ODE, what would you guess as a particular solution there? Can you guess the form of a particular solution for the 3rd order ODE?

Ok I get it from this point on, however, we've never really had any practice with m1 = 0 and m2 = complex

I wonder why the prof said it was a typo now.. lol..

maybe because he thought that the sqrt(15)/2 was a little too ugly for an exam question, but who knows :shrug:

We weren't allowed calculators.. I don't think that changes much though

My guess is your replacement prof didn't have his morning coffee, and made an error in his attempt to solve the problem, and couldn't find it so he concluded something might b wrong with the question.

But that's just speculation on my part :smile:

He probably looked at y' ' ' + y' ' + 4y' + 4 = 0 and thought perhaps it should be
y' ' ' + y' ' + 4y' + 4y = 0 which would be more "standard form" but distinctly harder than the original problem!

What is an unsolvable ODE?

An unsolvable ODE (ordinary differential equation) is an equation that cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. This means that it is not possible to find an analytical solution to the equation.

Why is it important to verify an unsolvable ODE on a midterm?

Verifying an unsolvable ODE on a midterm is important because it allows students to practice their problem-solving skills and apply the concepts they have learned in class. It also helps them to gain a deeper understanding of the properties and behavior of unsolvable ODEs.

How can I verify if an ODE is unsolvable?

There is no general method for determining if an ODE is unsolvable. However, there are some characteristics that can indicate that an ODE is unsolvable, such as the presence of non-elementary functions, or if the equation is nonlinear and cannot be transformed into a linear form.

What are some strategies for attempting to solve an unsolvable ODE?

One strategy for attempting to solve an unsolvable ODE is to look for particular solutions, such as power series solutions or numerical solutions. Another strategy is to use approximation methods to find an approximate solution to the ODE.

What should I do if I am unable to solve an unsolvable ODE on a midterm?

If you are unable to solve an unsolvable ODE on a midterm, do not panic. Make sure to show all of your work and explain your thought process. You may also want to seek clarification from your instructor on the concept or ask for partial credit if you have made progress towards a solution.