Verifying Inner Product & Showing $\ell^{2}$ is a Hilbert Space

In summary, the conversation discusses verifying that \ell^{2} is an inner product space and then proving that it is a Hilbert Space. The first part is straightforward, but the second part requires proving that a Cauchy sequence of sequences in \ell^{2} converges to a sequence in \ell^{2}. Further readings and resources are recommended for a more in-depth understanding of this concept.
BrainHurts

Homework Statement

let [itex]\ell^{2}[/itex] denote the space of sequences of real numbers [itex]\left\{a_{n}\right\}^{\infty}_{1}[/itex]

such that

[itex]\sum_{1 \leq n < \infty } a_{n}^{2} < \infty [/itex]

a) Verify that [itex]\left\langle \left\{a_{n}\right\}^{\infty}_{1}, \left\{b_{n}\right\}^{\infty}_{1} \right\rangle = \sum_{1 \leq n < \infty } a_{n}b_{n} [/itex] is an inner product.

b) Show that [itex]\ell^{2}[/itex] is a Hilbert Space.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did part a, I believe that was easy enough, however for part b, since we're given that

[itex]\sum_{1 \leq n < \infty } a_{n}^{2} [/itex] = [itex]\left\langle \left\{a_{n}\right\}^{\infty}_{1}, \left\{a_{n}\right\}^{\infty}_{1} \right\rangle [/itex] = [itex]\left\| \left\{a_{n}\right\}^{\infty}_{1} \right\|^{2}[/itex] < ∞

does this mean that all sequences converge in the norm, so [itex]\ell^{2}[/itex] is complete and therefore a Hilbert Space?

Physics news on Phys.org
BrainHurts said:

Homework Statement

let [itex]\ell^{2}[/itex] denote the space of sequences of real numbers [itex]\left\{a_{n}\right\}^{\infty}_{1}[/itex]

such that

[itex]\sum_{1 \leq n < \infty } a_{n}^{2} < \infty [/itex]

a) Verify that [itex]\left\langle \left\{a_{n}\right\}^{\infty}_{1}, \left\{b_{n}\right\}^{\infty}_{1} \right\rangle = \sum_{1 \leq n < \infty } a_{n}b_{n} [/itex] is an inner product.

b) Show that [itex]\ell^{2}[/itex] is a Hilbert Space.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did part a, I believe that was easy enough, however for part b, since we're given that

[itex]\sum_{1 \leq n < \infty } a_{n}^{2} [/itex] = [itex]\left\langle \left\{a_{n}\right\}^{\infty}_{1}, \left\{a_{n}\right\}^{\infty}_{1} \right\rangle [/itex] = [itex]\left\| \left\{a_{n}\right\}^{\infty}_{1} \right\|^{2}[/itex] < ∞

does this mean that all sequences converge in the norm, so [itex]\ell^{2}[/itex] is complete and therefore a Hilbert Space?

No, it's considerably more complicated than that. You need to prove that a Cauchy sequence of sequences in [itex]\ell^{2}[/itex] converges to a sequence in [itex]\ell^{2}[/itex]. I'm not an expert on this subject and if I were to try to figure out how to guide you through it, I'd probably have to look up a proof myself first. You might want to try that first. I'm kind of surprised they left this as an exercise with no other guidance.

hmm any suggested readings?

1. What is an inner product?

An inner product is a mathematical operation that takes in two vectors and produces a scalar. It is typically denoted as <x,y> and has properties such as symmetry, linearity, and positive definiteness.

2. How do you verify if an inner product is valid?

To verify if an inner product is valid, you need to check if it satisfies the properties of an inner product. These include symmetry, linearity, and positive definiteness. If all three properties are satisfied, then the inner product is considered valid.

3. What is the process for showing that 2 is a Hilbert space?

The process for showing that 2 is a Hilbert space involves three main steps. First, you need to show that 2 is a vector space. Then, you need to verify that the inner product defined for 2 is valid. Finally, you need to show that 2 is complete, meaning that all Cauchy sequences in 2 converge to a point in 2.

4. How do you prove completeness of 2?

To prove completeness of 2, you need to show that every Cauchy sequence in 2 converges to a point in 2. This can be done by using the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality, which states that any Cauchy sequence in a complete inner product space converges to a point in that space.

5. Are there any practical applications of verifying inner product and showing 2 is a Hilbert space?

Yes, there are many practical applications of verifying inner product and showing 2 is a Hilbert space. Some examples include signal processing, quantum mechanics, and image recognition. These concepts are used to analyze and manipulate data, signals, and images in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.