Vertex, Propagator and Loop counting

In summary: I could be wrong.In summary, according to the paper, the number of loops in a vacuum diagram should be equal to 1, but in this particular example there are 3 loops.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm reading these lecture notes but there is something I don't understand. In page 15, it starts to consider vacuum diagrams of various orders and tries to associated a factor to them according to the rule:
## diagram \sim (\frac \lambda N)^p(\frac N \lambda)^v N^l=\lambda^{p-v} N^{l+v-p}##.
Where v is the number of vertices, p is the number of propagators and l is the number of loops.
But I have some problems with understanding a few of its countings.
a.jpg

In this one, I think, you can consider any number of vertices you want and it doesn't matter because the number of propagators will be equal to it and they will cancel each other. But what does matter is the number of loops which, for me, is obviously equal to 1. But as you can see, the papers says its 2 and I have no idea how!
b.jpg

In this one, there are 6 vertices and 9 propagators. The factor that the paper assigns to it suggests that the number of loops should be 5. So let's count! I start from A:
AECA,AECDBA, AEFDCA, AEFDBA, AEFBA, AEFBDCA,...
I think there are still more A-containing loops but it doesn't matter. There are already 6 loops and I didn't even go to loops containing other vertices(like CDFEC). So how does the paper say the number of loops is 5?
c.jpg

This one has 2 vertices and 3 propagators and so the number of loops should be 1, according to the factor given to it by the paper. But I see 3 loops! Let's call the top vertex F and the bottom one G. If I'm on each of the vertices, then I have three directions to go, let's call them east,west and north. So let's say I'm on F. Then I can go to north to reach G. Then I can either go to west or east to return to F. So we have 2 loops here. Another loop is going east(west) to reach G and then going west(east) to return to F. So there are 3 loops in this diagram, but the paper says its 1. How?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Shayan.J said:
I'm reading these lecture notes but there is something I don't understand. In page 15, it starts to consider vacuum diagrams of various orders and tries to associated a factor to them according to the rule:
## diagram \sim (\frac \lambda N)^p(\frac N \lambda)^v N^l=\lambda^{p-v} N^{l+v-p}##.
Where v is the number of vertices, p is the number of propagators and l is the number of loops.
But I have some problems with understanding a few of its countings.View attachment 104306
In this one, I think, you can consider any number of vertices you want and it doesn't matter because the number of propagators will be equal to it and they will cancel each other. But what does matter is the number of loops which, for me, is obviously equal to 1. But as you can see, the papers says its 2 and I have no idea how!View attachment 104308
In this one, there are 6 vertices and 9 propagators. The factor that the paper assigns to it suggests that the number of loops should be 5. So let's count! I start from A:
AECA,AECDBA, AEFDCA, AEFDBA, AEFBA, AEFBDCA,...
I think there are still more A-containing loops but it doesn't matter. There are already 6 loops and I didn't even go to loops containing other vertices(like CDFEC). So how does the paper say the number of loops is 5?View attachment 104309
This one has 2 vertices and 3 propagators and so the number of loops should be 1, according to the factor given to it by the paper. But I see 3 loops! Let's call the top vertex F and the bottom one G. If I'm on each of the vertices, then I have three directions to go, let's call them east,west and north. So let's say I'm on F. Then I can go to north to reach G. Then I can either go to west or east to return to F. So we have 2 loops here. Another loop is going east(west) to reach G and then going west(east) to return to F. So there are 3 loops in this diagram, but the paper says its 1. How?

Thanks
The first picture in your post show two loops that move in different directions.
Also in the second pic you gave I see 5 loops, the 4 interior loops and the one big loop around them.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
The first picture in your post show two loops that move in different directions.
Well...that may be true...and I considered that..., but seems really unlikely to me and I don't think that's how it works.

Did you send an email to the author of this paper just in case?

Did you send an email to the author of this paper just in case?
Well...Let's first see if I can get something out of this thread! I don't think that's necessary.

Also in the second pic you gave I see 5 loops, the 4 interior loops and the one big loop around them.
Hey...looks like that's true! It explains all of them!
But...now I'm not sure how its related to the concept of loop I was thinking of...or why that concept of loop doesn't apply!
For now I just continue reading!
Thanks

What is a vertex in physics?

In physics, a vertex refers to a point or location where particles interact or collide with each other. It can also refer to the point where a particle decays into other particles.

What is a propagator in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, a propagator is a mathematical function that describes the probability amplitude for a particle to travel from one point to another in space and time. It is used to calculate the probability of particle interactions and decays.

What is loop counting in perturbation theory?

Loop counting in perturbation theory is a method used to calculate the probability amplitudes of particle interactions. It involves counting the number of loops in Feynman diagrams, with each loop representing an additional factor in the calculation.

Why is loop counting important in quantum field theory?

Loop counting is important in quantum field theory because it allows for the calculation of higher-order corrections to particle interactions. This helps to improve the accuracy of theoretical predictions and can lead to a better understanding of the underlying physics.

How is loop counting related to the renormalization process?

Loop counting is closely related to the renormalization process in quantum field theory. The number of loops in a Feynman diagram determines the order of the perturbation theory calculation, which in turn affects the need for renormalization to account for divergences in the theory.