Vertical Cantilever Slurry Pump Critical Speed

In summary, the conversation is about an engineer seeking assistance with calculating critical speed for a vertical cantilever slurry pump with a specific design. The engineer is looking for a calculator or step-by-step example to solve this problem and has provided a diagram and expanded drawing for reference. This is considered a complex problem in rotor dynamics and the engineer is advised to conduct further research on available software for assistance.
SlurryPumpPro
TL;DR Summary
I am working on calculating the critical speeds for vertical cantilever slurry pumps. These values are necessary for safe and efficient pump operation but I am having trouble finding the best method.
Hello all,

I am an engineer with a manufacturing company and I am working for calculating the critical speed for a vertical cantilever slurry pump. This pump design includes one ball bearing and one taper roller bearing within the bearing housing. Then the shaft extends vertically downward within a column with an impeller at the end of the shaft.

At this point, I have proven values that were provided to me but I need to calculate these values for new designs we are working on. Does anyone have a calculator that I can use or a step by step example for this problem? I can provide any details needed but at this point, any sort of assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
SlurryPumpPro

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you provide a diagram or picture that clarifies your pump systems? I think that would help folks to respond. Is it a system like this?

http://www.tobeepump.com/fckeditor/php/upload/image/20170615/1497523464967507.jpg

1578673326584.png

Hi Berkeman!

The pumps I am dealing with are quite similar to the design on the left picture (standard type) that does not include the lower bearing (extension type). Eventually, I would like to work on that design as well.

If we can base discussions on the pump design in below that would be awesome.

1578673935655.png

This is a classic problem in rotor dynamics, and not a simple one. I suggest some web research to see what software is now available.

1. What is the definition of critical speed for a vertical cantilever slurry pump?

The critical speed of a vertical cantilever slurry pump is the rotational speed at which the pump experiences resonance, causing excessive vibration and potential damage to the pump and its components.

2. How is the critical speed of a vertical cantilever slurry pump calculated?

The critical speed of a vertical cantilever slurry pump is typically calculated using the formula Nc = (2 x g x L / π)^(1/2), where Nc is the critical speed in revolutions per minute (RPM), g is the acceleration due to gravity, and L is the length of the pump shaft.

3. Why is it important to consider the critical speed when selecting a vertical cantilever slurry pump?

Selecting a pump with a critical speed that is too close to the operating speed can result in excessive vibration, premature wear and tear, and potential failure of the pump. It is important to choose a pump with a critical speed that is significantly higher than the operating speed to ensure reliable and efficient performance.

4. What factors can affect the critical speed of a vertical cantilever slurry pump?

The critical speed of a vertical cantilever slurry pump can be affected by various factors, including the length and stiffness of the pump shaft, the weight and distribution of the impeller, and the density and viscosity of the pumped slurry. Changes in any of these factors can alter the critical speed of the pump.

5. How can the critical speed of a vertical cantilever slurry pump be controlled?

The critical speed of a vertical cantilever slurry pump can be controlled by adjusting the length and stiffness of the pump shaft, selecting an appropriate impeller design and weight, and properly balancing the pump components. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the pump's operating conditions can also help to prevent critical speed-related issues.